Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

GLBP , BGP & masks

Hi

Is anybody doing GLBP with BGP? Anything special that needs to be done for BGP to work? My second question is how do I get GLBP working on a subinterface when I only have a /30 from my ISP?

4 REPLIES
Purple

Re: GLBP , BGP & masks

Hi,

GLBP is a first-hop redundancy protocol and quite independent of BGP.

If you only have a /30 for your LAN-facing interface, then it's going to be pretty hard to have more than two routers on that same segment.

Paresh

So basicly I should asking my ISP for a /29 ?

Would you know happen to know why the command "glbp xxx ip" is allowed? What I mean is if I do a "glbp xxx ip" without actually appending an ip address it still allows me to do it.

Purple

Hi,

From the command reference: The 'glbp ip' command activates GLBP on the configured interface. If an IP address is specified, that address is used as the designated virtual IP address for the GLBP group. If no IP address is specified, the designated address is learned from another router configured to be in the same GLBP group. For GLBP to elect an active virtual gateway (AVG), at least one router on the cable must have been configured with the designated address

Paresh.

PS. Pls do remember to rate posts

Purple

And yes, you would at need at least a /29 or you could use a private IP range and do NAT on the router. That way, you would not have to ask your ISP for a larger subnet.

Paresh

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content