Level 3
Level 3

Location A connects to Location B with two connections

One Point to Point T1

One 768KB CIR Frame Circuit

Location A has one subnet

Location B has one subnet

OSPF is routing protocol

Could GLBP be used at both locations to load balance traffic across T1 and 768KB CIR (Max of 1.544 MB) circuit?

4 Replies 4

vladrac-ccna
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

could you provide more information of the topology of this network and routing configurations?

Thanks,

Vlad

Hi,

The answer to your question is yes - you can certainly use GLBP to load-balance your traffic over the two links.

Paresh

In my setup, two wan routers are connected to four WAN links, two from one ISP and remaining two from other ISP. I have configured by routers using glbp and a firewall and a few switches are sitting in between my clients and wan Routers. From firewall, all my traffic is going out via one router only and I don't think any load balancing is taking place. I have not tried trace from my clients. And I can't provide the glbp virtual ip as gateway in my client machines. So would the traffic from my clients to wan be load balanced by glbp ? From firewall, it's not being load balanced and using one router only.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

In your case, if a FW is the L2 "client" seen by the routers, your routers will only have one MAC address client and GLBP will not load balance.

If your WAN links are about the same bandwidth, and if your FW supports static routing, you could use two mHSRP virtual gateway IPs and load balance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco