Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

GLBP - Weighting

Hello,

Can anybody refer me to a link regarding the weighting option with GLBP.

We have users from our satelite office connecting to a server in main office. The satelite offices have 2x2600 routers connecting to 2x3600 at our main site, we currently use HSRP for redundancy. The server in question is attached to a 6500 which is connected to both 3600s.

With GLBP and the weighting option set; would the replies from the server to requests from the satelite office be load balanced over both links.

I believe as there is only one mac address i.e. the server the host based and round robin oprions would not be appropriate in this case.

Thank you in advance for any help given.

Andy

2 REPLIES

Re: GLBP - Weighting

you should not need load balancing between the server and the 6500. Is your combined wan bandwidth greater than 100Mbps or 1Gbps (speed of the server's network connection on the lan?)

You might be able to use GLBP instead of hsrp at the remote satellite offices IF both router gateways have an active path back to the main office. That way you could get wan load balancing between the clients and the server, over both wan links. However, the return traffic the server is sending maybe asymmetric, or go back on a different wan link it came in on.

Either way I would not consider GLBP on the server side of the wan...

Re: GLBP - Weighting

Thanks for your reply.

I was looking at utilising both WAN links in the reply from the server, so I though that GLBP weighting might do the job of load balance the data at the server end to the client.

Will probably go down the MHSRP route.

Thanks

Andy

Views
Helpful
Replies