Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GRE on 3560

Hi All,

I have below switch and I was interested in configuring GRE on one of the interface. So I tried to create tunnel interface, the tab completes the command. Is GRE supported on this switch and IOS?

Switch#show version

Cisco IOS Software, C3560 Software (C3560-IPBASE-M), Version 12.2(35)SE5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-2007 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

cisco WS-C3560-48TS (PowerPC405) processor (revision G0) with 122880K/8184K bytes of memory.

Switch(config)#interface tunnel 0

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Switch(config)#

IP routing is also enabled. Your quick help is higly appreciated.

Regards,

Ravi

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I have below switch and I was interested in configuring GRE on one of the interface. So I tried to create tunnel interface, the tab completes the command. Is GRE supported on this switch and IOS?

No, it's not supported except as transit traffic.

View solution in original post

Hi Ravi,

There is no option to configure vpn tunnel on 3560's.
You can use this switch as a transit I mean end users can connect to this switch and can forward the encrypted traffic through this switch.
You need toh ave a additional ASA or any ISR router to configure a site to site vpn or client vpn.

You may heard about VPN Routing/Forwarding Lite (VRF Lite) supported in the Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series helps enable unique VPNs without additional equipment at the customer site.

Please rate all the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

As correctly indicated above.

you should NOT terminate tunnels on the switch. The reson is that you will have poor performances, limited features, and risk to introduce instability in the network.

Moreover, per Cisco licensing terms, upgrading a switch to ip service images, require that you buy a license.

8 Replies 8

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

No, it's not supported except as transit traffic.

Hi Ravi,

There is no option to configure vpn tunnel on 3560's.
You can use this switch as a transit I mean end users can connect to this switch and can forward the encrypted traffic through this switch.
You need toh ave a additional ASA or any ISR router to configure a site to site vpn or client vpn.

You may heard about VPN Routing/Forwarding Lite (VRF Lite) supported in the Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series helps enable unique VPNs without additional equipment at the customer site.

Please rate all the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

rizwanr74
Level 7
Level 7

Please upgrade the IOS image to ip-service version, that should fix up the problem.

c3560-ipservicesk9-tar.122-55.SE4.tar

Thanks

Rizwan Rafeek

Hi Rizwan,

Thanks, let me download and give it a go.

Regards,

Ravindra

As correctly indicated above.

you should NOT terminate tunnels on the switch. The reson is that you will have poor performances, limited features, and risk to introduce instability in the network.

Moreover, per Cisco licensing terms, upgrading a switch to ip service images, require that you buy a license.

Where do you recommand that tunnel should be terminated to that a customer who has only 3560es and ASA Firewall carring GRE over IPSec?

Hi Paolo,

I just have C3560 in my lab currently up and working :-(. So was desperate, I think I need to wait untill tomorrow.

Reg,

Ravindra

Thanks All.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: