cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GRE Virtual IP

fernandez-m
Level 1
Level 1

Somebody know if is possible to deploy GRE with high availability?

The idea is to have to routers at the same GRE side with a "Virtual GRE IP" or something like that, so in the case that one router fails the other one takes the tunnel.

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Marcelo

I am not sure that there is any "virtual IP" capability in GRE. But I have impelmented something that I think may be close to what you are looking for. At a customer network we have many remote sites where we wanted to provide a sort of high-availability capability. We run 2 GRE tunnels from the remote to 2 router at the main site. Both tunnels come up and active. We run EIGRP over the tunnels and manipulate the metric so that we have a primary and a backup. Normally traffic flows over the primary. If there is any kind of problem with the primary connection (could be on the main router, could be in the network connecting them) EIGRP will detect loss of connectivity and quickly and smoothly transfer traffic over to the backup tunnel. This is the kind of automated and transparent functionality that you usually look for with virtual IP functions. It has worked well for us.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, the remote site does not support 2 simultaneous GRE tunnels.

It seems we have to implmenet manual redundancy.

Thank you

Marcelo

I do not understand your comment about the remote site does not support 2 simultaneous GRE tunnels. If you mean that they are not willing to do 2 tunnels that is one thing and probably not much that you can do. But if you really mean that the remote does not support (is not capable of doing) 2 GRE tunnels then I am puzzled.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes Rick, it seems weird but is true since at the remote site there is no a Cisco Device.

Thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card