Helpful
Replies

GSR and Etherchannel

Antonio_1_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have GSR12404 with PRP-2 SIP-501 SPA-5X1GE-V2 with ISO XR 3.5.3

When I try to configure ETHERCHANNEL feature and commit, router prints out this message

(and this happens even if I configure ONLY interface bundle-ether 1):

RP/0/0/CPU0:(config)#sh configuration failed
!! CONFIGURATION FAILED DUE TO SEMANTIC ERRORS
interface Bundle-Ether10
!!% Config conflicts with the bundle interface.  Please refer to configuration documentation for further assistance.
bundle minimum-active links 1
!!% Config conflicts with the bundle interface.  Please refer to configuration documentation for further assistance.
!
end.

I checked command reference and I didn't find reasons for this message.

I thought link bundling is supported on GSR 12000 series with IOS XR.

Does anyone knows if link bundle (etherchannel) on GSR with IOS XR can be configured?

thanks in advance.

regards,

A.

7 Replies 7

Antonio_1_2
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone help me with this please?

Thanks,

A.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Antonio,

I can only say that in IOS XR 3.8 it works on GSR XR 12000 I have seen it in a customer network.

So I'm afraid you would need to perform an IOS XR upgrade

By the way, I would prefer to use two parallel L3 links if possible.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios_xr_sw/iosxr_r3.8/interfaces/configuration/guide/hc38lbun.html#wp1349508

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe,

thank you very much. Why do you prefer two layer 3 links over Etherchannel?

The purpose of this bundling is for BGP, and my upstream ISP doesn't want to enable BGP multipath,

that is why I want to configure etherchannel.

Regards,

A.

Hello Antonio,

Sorry to jump in

If requirement is load sharing with bgp does your isp agree to run bgp on loopback ip address,

(another option for load sharing if both the links terminating on same router. in your case it is same scenario)

Hope this helps

Regards

Mahesh

Hello Mahesh,

yes we asked our ISP upstream provider for that option, and they are not happy with this option since they have to put two static routes toward loopback address.

regards,

A

Hello Antonio,

thanks for your kind remarks

>> Why do you prefer two layer 3 links over Etherchannel?

I prefer the use of parallel L3 links because experience with L3 etherchannel on Routers may provide some drawbacks:

example 1:

years ago on 12000 with IOS 12.0S using a bundle was possible with some linecards unfortunately netflow accounting was not working at all as a result of this for more then one year it wasn't possible to collect traffic flow information in one of the most important european exchange points.

example 2:

last year in IOS XR I had issue with MPLS after having applied LDP filtering in order to have LDP bindings : this caused an unexpected black holing of a VOIP IP subnet and the problem was located in a GE bundle between two IOS XR GSRs

This is my personal experience and my opinion on this.

In your case I would enforce with the other provider that your device is currently not supporting GE bundling so the use of a loopback for eBGP multipath should be considered again as suggested by Mahil

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you very much for the explanation Giuseppe.

regards,

A.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: