cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GSR Memory Upgrade

mbserrano
Level 1
Level 1

I have a GSR running redundant GRP-B= with 256DRAM. We need to upgrade the GRPs to 512MB memory.

My plan is to remove the standby GRP first then install the additional memory cards then insert it back. At this point, can I just remove the active GRP without a reeboot? will the secondary GRP with the higher memory take over if I remove the card with the lower memory?

Please help.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

The sounds Ok to me. It make sense to upgrade the memory on standby GRP first and then the active one.

The most important thing to check that if the hardware is diff then the redundency doesnot work. I am afraid that if GRP detects that the DRAM is diff then this could lead us to a problem.

I would sguuest to plan a schedule downtime for this activity so as to overcome any issue.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps167/products_installation_and_configuration_guide09186a00800a858e.html#wp25764

See if that link helps.

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

That's exactly the point why I posted this question. I'm afraid that when the card with the higher memory is inserted, the router won't treat it as a redundancy card because of hardware mismatch.

Is there really no option but to schedule a reload? Remember that this is a GSR which carries practically the internet load of our datacenter.

Please advise.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card