cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Half Duplex Pin Outs

mrchitlin
Level 1
Level 1

We have a mix of port settings on our C4506es, for some political reasons some users are 100 Full and others 100 Half. Now I know the pin out for rj45 is 1,3 2,6, so I am a bit unsure of why I am seeing collisions on the HD ports given that there is only one device on the 'line'. Is it that when in HD that all 4 pins are treated as one media or perhaps only one of the two pairs are used when in this mode. Thanks

1 Reply 1

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

You will always see collisons on Half duplex no matter how many things are attached. The reason is if the PC or what ever is connected tries to send data and the switch is tring to send data to the PC at the same time there is a collision. So lets say a user opens Outlook, it will communicate with Exchange, and while it is open it will always communicate at periods of time, now you open a document from a network share, it will go get it but remember Exchange and outlook are also communicating so there will always be a time where the switch and PC will try and send data at the same time, so there will always be collisions.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card