Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hardware required to support frame relay connection at 6 Mbps

Netpros,

One of my customers currently has a frame relay Internet connection. It uses an Internet router - Cisco 2620 with an E1 controller card to support 2048 mbps -. They need to upgrade to 4+ mbps. My question is .. which hardware would you recommend ( router and interface type or card ) to support this speed using the same frame relay connection ..?

I suspect the Internet router might need to be replaced .. here is the show ver of it

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.2(2)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/ibld/view.pl?i=support

Copyright (c) 1986-2001 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Sat 02-Jun-01 16:05 by ccai

Image text-base: 0x80008088, data-base: 0x809D5278

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(6r), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

ROM: C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.2(2)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

R-PIH-PUBLIC uptime is 25 weeks, 1 day, 21 hours, 7 minutes

System returned to ROM by reload at 18:03:27 EST Sat Jul 15 2006

System restarted at 18:04:32 EST Sat Jul 15 2006

System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz.122-2.T.bin"

cisco 2620 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x00) with 28672K/4096K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID JAD06160F5R (3826357201)

M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49

Channelized E1, Version 1.0.

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

Primary Rate ISDN software, Version 1.1.

1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

1 Serial network interface(s)

1 Channelized E1/PRI port(s)

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Your comments are very appreciated ..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: hardware required to support frame relay connection at 6 Mbp

I totally agreed on this suggestion and I overlooked the EOS issue of 2621. Thx for reminding me. :)

In additional to khan's suggestion, you can also consider the 2800 model that is high performance cost-effective model.

6 REPLIES
Silver

According to Cisco router performance info, the existing 2621 should able to support 6Mbps traffic. However, the serial interface supports 2Mbps only. You have below choices :

1) Add IMA module

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_data_sheet09186a00801aa726.html

2) Add multiple serial and enable load-sharing by MLPPP or routing

3) Change to use Metro Ethernet, require additional FE interface.

4) Change to use ATM

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_data_sheet09186a0080091b9e.html

5)Change to use ADSL but limited upload bandwidth

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028aa5a.html

Above solutions all require PTT to support. I suggest to check which services can be supported by the PTT and ISP then based on the supporting list to design the solution.

Hope this helps.

i recon jack is right but my recom is buy a 3745 and get a E3 card for it.......now i fully understand abt the amount of $$$ involves but mate one thing your client is using a hardware which is no longer supported by cisco and its pretty cheap these days by deploying 3745 i recon u have many options for the future as well.....so i rekon think futuristic.....plz rate all posts

Silver

I totally agreed on this suggestion and I overlooked the EOS issue of 2621. Thx for reminding me. :)

In additional to khan's suggestion, you can also consider the 2800 model that is high performance cost-effective model.

Great .. thanks for your points .. I was thinking of proposing a 2800 as well and I think ethernet is the best option .. I think I might use the current link as a backup in that way I can still use the 2620 .. I might have to upgrade the IOS in order to support BGP though .. thanks heaps

Cheers .. I think the best option for this customer will be 2800 and ethernet for now .. but thanks for your suggestion

Silver

You're welcome. The most important issue is what the services will the PTT & ISP support. Once it is supported by the ISP, there should be no issue. Moreover, if you consider to use Ethernet, be consider to order the duak Ethernet interfaces model.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content