Views
Helpful
Replies

hardware resources in 7206VXR

STUART KENDRICK
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

i got bit recently by IPv4 TCAM exhaustion in my C6K ... and i have Sup720-3BXL on order now to solve this problem

i'm turning my attention to my 7206VXR-NPE-G1, which are also receiving full route tables. does the 7206VXR contain a hardware resource, TCAM or similar, which can become exhausted by large IPv4 route tables? if so, how do i look at it? (via CLI or, preferably, SNMP)

if not, then do i just watch I/O Memory and Processor Memory and worry as they approach 100% utilization?

--sk

stuart kendrick

fhcrc

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For the G2, I would expect main memory to be the critical resouce for multiple and large route tables (e.g. Internet).

michaelchoo
Level 1
Level 1

7206VXR is software router, while 6500s use hardware-assisted routing process, hence the upper limit on TCAMs based on the Sup. With software routers, it's the installed RAM that makes the difference in the number of routes the platform can store. For 7206VXR, anything over 512MB should be capable of handling full Internet routes (1GB is better though).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card