Views
Helpful
Replies

Help needed on "Extended ping"

srikrishnan.b
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

We are trying to increase the no of hops while doing an extended ping. This is to validate and record the route from the source to dest.

We are observing this message "Invalid Number of Hops" when trying to increase the no of hops as follows:

Protocol [ip]:

Target IP address: X.X.X.X

Repeat count [5]:

Datagram size [100]:

Timeout in seconds [2]:

Extended commands [n]: y

Source address or interface: lo 0

Type of service [0]:

Set DF bit in IP header? [no]:

Validate reply data? [no]:

Data pattern [0xABCD]:

Loose, Strict, Record, Timestamp, Verbose[none]: R

Number of hops [ 9 ]: 15

Invalid Number of Hops

Is there any way to increase the no of hops while doing an extended ping ?

Rgds,

Sri

3 Replies 3

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Hello Sri,

Looking at the following doc will show that there is little difference between doing an extended ping with the Record-option and using the traceroute command. With the latter, you can select up to 30 hops so that is probably the way to go.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080093f22.shtml#extend_ping

No idea really why an extended ping should be restricted to less than 30 hops, it could be a bug. I would like to know if this is always the same when you check on different platforms and IOS versions.

Regards,

Leo

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hello,

unfortunately not. The maximum hop count for the record route option is 9. Details to hte extended ping and traceroute can be found in "Using the Extended ping and Extended traceroute Commands" at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080093f22.shtml

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

You can say that the forum works when it comes to enlarging one's knowledge. I did not know that. Thanks for looking it up!

For myself, I always use the traceroute command instead.

Thanks Martin.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card