Replies

Help selecting a router

johns2014
Level 1
Level 1

Need help selecting the right router for the student housing environment below:

- 300 Users

- 600+ concurrent devices

- Single 400/400mbps WAN connection (Ethernet)

- No VPN, Voip or any other requirement.

- Need NAT/DHCP capability.

Looking for the lowest price router.

John

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

3945E or 4451-X.

thanks for the response.

Just checked out HP MSR2000 router, which seem to handle the traffic with tenth of the price.   For my simple environment, is Cisco worth the price?  Any thoughts?   

Any router, lest it be Cisco, HP, Juniper, Netgear, Belkin, Draytek, etc,  can "do" the job.  The question is:  What does the job entail?

Your description is very basic.  Any broadband router can do NAT/DHCP.  Any. 

You ask the question on a Cisco-owned and managed forum, I give you a Cisco enterprise-grade product to suit your requirement.  Unfortunately, I am not a user of other vendor's equipment so my knowledge to them is, at best, extremely limited.  

Do remember that Data Sheets are written by the marketing people (any Data Sheets).  It will contain very limited technical details.  If there are any technical details involved, take it with a grain of salt because the details are either inflated (like bandwidth) and capabilities (as clear as mud).  

Prices between vendors and Cisco may be a fraction of the cost of a Cisco product but it is well known that Cisco can do more stuff than other vendors.  

Leos advice will be perfectly fine. But if you are on a low budget you could also think about using an ASA for that task. That will  give you less flexibility in overall routing, but more throughput for less money.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card