Views
Helpful
Replies

Help to distribute my SMTP outbound thru five IP whit Cisco 800 Series

Ivantomas11
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all

I have a Windows Server 2012 with an email server (Mailenable).

Also I use a Cisco 800 series (model 888) with five fixed IP.

I like to know how can I use the five IP simultaneously, in a round robin schema or something else.

I like to make SMTP output balancing in the five IP addresses.

I am  convinced my Cisco 800 Series can do this work, but my ISP do not  give me support to change the configuration.

I will be very glad if somebody tell me how can I do this schema in my DNS or the Cisco Router, with a software or hardware solution.

Pleasae let me know if need more information

Thank you, in advance!!!  

Gabriel Winogron

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

devanand.s
Level 1
Level 1

You can NAT the internal IP to external IP pool and the load should be taken care automatically.

View solution in original post

Gabriel

As far as i know a router will not allow you to do this. The problem is -

mail server private IP = 192.168.5.1

public IP1 = 195.10.10.1

public IP2 = 195.10.10.2

When you enter the first NAT statement -

ip nat inside source static 192.168.5.1 195.10.10.1

then when you enter the second it will tell you the address is already mapped because it is the same private IP. If you were using different ports for each static then you could do it but i suspect the port is the same ie. port 25 for all the static statments.  So i don't think it is possible. If you had an ASA firewall running 8.3 code or later you can do many to one NAT and that would solve your problem.

But like Jeff, i would also ask why you are trying to do this. There is no load balancing because it is the same physical server so you do not get any additional benefit by using five public IPs. In fact you are actually wasting public IPs for no gain.

What exactly are you trying to achieve ?

Jon

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Ivantomas11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

If I need to post this topic in another forum to obtain a response please let me know.

Thank you.

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

I just have to ask why you would want to do this.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

devanand.s
Level 1
Level 1

You can NAT the internal IP to external IP pool and the load should be taken care automatically.

Thank you very much.!!!!

You give me the first response since 10 days.

I well done the test.

Thank you again.

Gabriel

Hi Devanand S.

I was tested with NAT in Windows Server 2012, but I could'nt go forward with your suggestion.

Could you giv me more informartion? or a link to see how I need to define the NAT?

Also I was installed NAT32 but I could'nt configure it.

Thank you, in advance

Gabriel

As far as i know a router will not allow you to do this. The problem is -

mail server private IP = 192.168.5.1

public IP1 = 195.10.10.1

public IP2 = 195.10.10.2

When you enter the first NAT statement -

ip nat inside source static 192.168.5.1 195.10.10.1

then when you enter the second it will tell you the address is already mapped because it is the same private IP. If you were using different ports for each static then you could do it but i suspect the port is the same ie. port 25 for all the static statments.  So i don't think it is possible. If you had an ASA firewall running 8.3 code or later you can do many to one NAT and that would solve your problem.

But like Jeff, i would also ask why you are trying to do this. There is no load balancing because it is the same physical server so you do not get any additional benefit by using five public IPs. In fact you are actually wasting public IPs for no gain.

What exactly are you trying to achieve ?

Jon

Hi Jon.

Yo are right

I like to use the five IP with port 25. The package of my ISP comes with five IP and I like avoid banning the IP's.

Actually I send for the first IP a couple of mails, lather from the second an so on.

I like to do it automatic

Thank you for your answer.

I have done this load balancing for our proxy server

ip nat pool xyz 204.165.222.210 204.165.222.211 netmask 255.255.255.248

ip nat inside source route-map nat-internet pool xyz overload

ip nat inside source static 192.168.100.16 202.165.222.209 route-map nat-internet

But I need to install RAS and NAT in Windows Server 2012 ?

Because I did it and I had troubles to configure.

Thank you

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card