cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help understanding VRF

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Folks, in simple words, can I see VRF as a 'partition' in which multiple customers routing table can be handled separately? It is like creating multiple VPN's for various clients connecting to my service. Is that how you see it?

router bgp 98503

address-family ipv4 vrf MYTEST

no redistribute ospf 100 vrf MYTEST

redistribute ospf 100 vrf MYTEST match internal external 1 external 2

no aggregate-address 12.30.0.0 255.255.192.0 summary-only

exit

!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

"Folks, in simple words, can I see VRF as a 'partition' in which multiple customers routing table can be handled separately? It is like creating multiple VPN's for various clients connecting to my service. Is that how you see it?"

Yes, that is a good way to look at it. It is especially useful to service providers who offer IP VPN services to multiple customers, who use the same service provider PE edge router. Wouldnt it suck for the SP to have to buy a new router to support each customer VPN.

It also allows the SP to carry network traffic for customers who use overlapping IP address ranges, which so common. Isolated VRF instances are created for each VPN, and the routes you see are specific to that VPN and have only local significance.

HTH

Victor

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

"Folks, in simple words, can I see VRF as a 'partition' in which multiple customers routing table can be handled separately? It is like creating multiple VPN's for various clients connecting to my service. Is that how you see it?"

Yes, that is a good way to look at it. It is especially useful to service providers who offer IP VPN services to multiple customers, who use the same service provider PE edge router. Wouldnt it suck for the SP to have to buy a new router to support each customer VPN.

It also allows the SP to carry network traffic for customers who use overlapping IP address ranges, which so common. Isolated VRF instances are created for each VPN, and the routes you see are specific to that VPN and have only local significance.

HTH

Victor

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card