Helping a Church out with some IT work

stonnet72
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the scenario:

Church has the following:

LAN--> 3 Switches --> DSL for Data connection

Phones --> VOIP --> Switch --> T1

The phone system is setup as VOIP through a T1. There data services (internet connection) is going through a DSL. The church director wants to use the T1 for data services as well and make the DSL a backup, so T1 x (VOIP and Data) = Primary and DSL x (data ONLY) = secondary.

1. Is this possible (I imagine this is via some advanced routing configuration)

2. Does anyone know of a starter config that I can use to mimick the configuration for this router (2621XM router with two configurable ports)

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. I am familiar with configuring the router but, not so sure about setting up the primary and secondary data connections.If I am close to the answer, I think it will just be a matter of setting up a subinterface...I am not sure though

1 Reply 1

belovell
Level 1
Level 1

If you know the destination of your VoIP traffic(i.e. it all goes through your VoIP provider at IP address x.x.x.x) them this can be done fairly simplely with three routesand an ACL

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <== primary default route

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 250 <=== backup default route. Will only com into play if T1 link goes down

ip route x.x.x.x x.x.x.x <== voice route.

ip access-list 101 deny ip  

ip access-list 101 permit ip any any

ACL will block all voice traffic that tries to exit DSL interface.

-Ben

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card