cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hierarchical QOS policy on 10720

ianwarb
Level 1
Level 1

I have been recently trying to create a hierarchical MQC policy on a 10720 (12.0(28)S2) in order to configure a priority queue for voice traffic. However when I attempt to embed the EF_traffic policy map within the CLASS-DEF class I get the error message ?POLICY- must have only one class to be used a nested policy?. Config below

policy-map POLICY-CE-TO-PE

class CLASS-DEF

shape percent 4

police 37952000 7116000 14232000 conform-action transmit exceed-action transmit violate-action drop

Service-policy EF_traffic

< POLICY- must have only one class to be used a nested policy>

policy-map EF_traffic

class EF_traffic

priority

police 2048000 384000 384000 conform-action set-dscp-transmit 46 exceed-action drop violate-action drop

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

the idea of a nested policy is to use one policy to shape it down to a desired rate. QoS wise this is like creating a "logical interface" with the specified bandwidth.

All other QoS related actions should be placed in the second policy-map applied to that shaper, i.e. to the "logical QoS interface". So your priority queue should be part of the second policy like in the example given above. You still could use other classes and CBWFQ within the second policy-map.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

there is always the hidden class-map class-default. Can you try out

policy-map POLICY-CE-TO-PE

class class-default

shape percent 4

police 37952000 7116000 14232000 conform-action transmit exceed-action transmit violate-action drop

service-policy (output?) EF_traffic

policy-map EF_traffic

class EF_traffic

priority

police 2048000 384000 384000 conform-action set-dscp-transmit 46 exceed-action drop violate-action drop

May I ask, what the nested policy should achieve, which is not possible with a single policy?

Regards, Martin

ianwarb
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Martin, thanks for the update. I was initially trying this policy as the router in question already had a policing/shaping service-policy on there to throttle the bandwidth. I want to hive off 2Mb of this for priority queuing so thought it would be best to embed it within the existing one

regards

Ian

Hi,

the idea of a nested policy is to use one policy to shape it down to a desired rate. QoS wise this is like creating a "logical interface" with the specified bandwidth.

All other QoS related actions should be placed in the second policy-map applied to that shaper, i.e. to the "logical QoS interface". So your priority queue should be part of the second policy like in the example given above. You still could use other classes and CBWFQ within the second policy-map.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card