cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

High-Availability & Redundancy over two different box on IPVPN

networknoobs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, one of my customer is having money to spend. They are currently running MPLS IPVPN through one of the service provider, but being pathethic the way they are, they want a second IPVPN link from a different service provider. Can I design the network like the diagram I've attached?

Here's their requirement:

i. Traffic should follow the MPLS_A path.

Challenge: Since the IPVPN is a layer3 services, the link stays up does not mean its problem free. How can I direct the traffic through MPLS_B path if there's something wrong with the routing at MPLS_A?

ii. Inside the trunk, I'll try to run sub-interface with HSRP, I'll force the traffic to follow the MPLS_A since I'll set it at the primary path. But if there's something wrong with the FastEthernet interface stays up, how can the traffic know it should follow the MPLS_B path?

Any idea to enlighten me?

2 Replies 2

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Normally with Fastethernet/Ethernet Enhanced Object Tracking feature is being used to detect the failures in the primary link and activate the backup connectivity.

As per CCO you can integrate Object Tracking feature with HSRP,VRRP and GLBP to activate the secondary link incase of failures when it comes to etherenet connectivity..

do refer this link for the same..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00801d2d74.html

regds

thanks for the idea, will take some times to go through the stuff

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card