Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

high cpu/multicast traffic

Hello,

I have configured VLAN300 through 3 switches:

customer--C2960 - C7600 - C6500--customer

As it can be seen customer is connected via Ethernet(VLAN300).Customers has multicast traffic and on both sides sender and receivers.

I don't have multicast enabled on my switches, and regarding multicast configuration is default on all devices.

Problem starts when I configure Interface VLAN 300 on C7600, then sh proc cpu shows 100%/98% (which indicates that packets goes to CPU).

on C2960 and C6500 CPu utilisation is normal 3%.

I sniffed the traffic and packets are (50Mbps in each direction):

src IP: 10.10.10.101 port UDP 49152 dst IP: 239.10.100.110 port UDP 2001

and

src IP: 192.168.100.100 port UDP 4915 dst IP: 239.10.100.111 port UDP 1234

TTLs are 64, and also all checksums are correct.

when I put interface VLAN300 to shutdown, CPU utilisation on C7600 goes to 3%.

interface vlan300 doesn't have ip address, I was planning to use it just for policinig (to rate limit traffic on VLAN 300 - mls qos vlan-based)

C7600 has sup720BXL and IOS 12.2(18)SXF.

Why CPU utilisation goes to 100% when I just create interface VLAN, even without IP address?

Thanks in advance,

A.

6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: high cpu/multicast traffic

If you configure multicast on a Vlan and you don't have PIM configured on any of the SVI, the IGMP Snooping service on switches won't work as designed.

In order to prevent this problem, you need a device with IGMP Snooping Querier configured on that Vlan and this device must have a SVI with an IP address assigned, in your case it can be the 7600 router.

Your issue is that when enabling the SVI - even without an IP address - unknown multicast/broadcast packets are being punted to the CPU.

For configuring IGMP Snooping Querier, please refer to the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/snooigmp.html#wp1070778

Regards

Edison

Thank you very much Edison.

Thing is that I provided layer 2 connectivity to the customer, and I didn't know what type of traffic he is going to run through this VLAN.

I only noticed that CPU utilisation was high if I created interface VLAN.

So if C7600 detects multicast traffic in i.e. VLAN 10 and has configured interface VLAN 10 this traffic will be punted to CPU.

Can I avoid this behavior on C7600 (somehow to disable multicast on this VLAN)?

Since I don't want to interfere in customer's multicast traffic, I would like to avoid configuring "IGMP Snooping Querier".

Is there some other way or I must remove "interface VLAN 10"?

reagrds,

A

If Vlan 10 has an IP address the punting will be minimal but ideally you need to have a querier on a L3 SVI or just enabling PIM on the interface.

Regards

Edison.

Hi Edison,

I tried all 3 solutions which you had suggested but CPU utilisation doesn't drop below 80%-90%.

I tried:

1) adding IP address on interface VLAN10

2) adding IP address on Interface VLAN 10 and enabling PIM on that interface

router(config-if)#ip pim sparse-mode
WARNING: "ip multicast-routing" is not configured,
            IP Multicast packets will not be forwarded

3) adding IP address and enabling IP snooping querirer

Regards,

A

On the 2nd option, did you enable multicast-routing? You need to do so in order for PIM to work.

It seems like you are being affected by a software bug so I recommend opening a TAC case to verify if that's the case.

Regards

Edison

I didn't enable multicast globaly. I don't know how would it affect other traffic since

this router is in production.

Thanks for advice Edison.

Regrads,

A

Views
Helpful
Replies