cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HIGH CPU

kmeraj
Level 1
Level 1

I have high cpu problem on my 7513 router. some of the slots are cef disabled , like slot 5 which is gigabit and taking most of the traffic. out put of the show cef line card & sh cef int x/x/x is attached herewith. which seems quite contadictory. memory was upgraded on this card to 256 mb but we still face the high cpu problem.

looking for help

Regards

sh cef linecard (output)

5 314823 26720 442837 Closed 0 0 0 disabled

sh cef int 5 (output)

IP Distributed CEF switching enabled

IP Fast switching turbo vector

9 Replies 9

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Would you be able to post the output of 'show proc cpu sorted' ?

Thanks,

Paresh.

output of show proc cpu is attached below

Regards

The BGP scanner process is causing high cpu utilisation. Is this consistent.

104 105989572 359871 294546 33.65% 8.35% 6.38% 0 BGP Scanner

Check the following link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00801c4f48.shtml

Well this router is not the only router running bgp. i have 6 router running bgp with all the internet routes. core has average CPU of 3%, other distribution routers have 10 - 30 %. But this router has average cpu of 60 % which is quite unusal. I think it might be due to some CEF related issue but not sure, and thats why looking for help here.

Regards

also this ipc process is constantly there.

11 5121772 41544237 123 0.65% 0.37% 0.26% 0 IPC Seat Manager

on other router this process is occasional.

any idea what this process is for

Hi,

Would you be able to check if you are seeing significant input drops on your interface ? that is, get the output of 'show interface | include input queue' and then re-run it again after a few minutes and see if the counters have changed significantly ?

Paresh

Can you check the output of the sh proc cpu frequently to confirm that the bgp scanner process is always responsible for the high utilisation. Try using the sort option, i.e. sh proc cpu sorted and see which process is always on top. If your IOS does not support this option use the command sh proc cpu | exc 0.00% to remove processes with 0% utilisation from the display.

If the result still points to BGP, give us the output of the sh ip bgp sum

well BGP process is there but not that consistant. IPC seat manager is process is consistant.

hi

hope this link helps u out to know more about IPC process...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1829/products_feature_guide09186a00801b3a92.html

regds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card