cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HighQueueDropRate message from LMS on Frame Routers

cshumway
Level 1
Level 1

Beginning two days ago I started getting a flood of errors from LMS indicating I had a HighQueueDropRate of over 10% or more on many of my Frame-Relay routers. Upon inspection I am finding the fa0/0 interface is showing a very high drop rate. However, the show proc cpu does not indicate any process hogging the cpu and traffic is fairly light on the interface according to my Visual Probe. My sho interface fa0/0 switching indicates a large amount of Throttle count drops RP and almost no cache misses. I need help.

3 Replies 3

keegan.holley
Level 1
Level 1

This usually happens when there is more traffic coming from the lan the your PVC can handle. It is mostlikely time for more bandwidth. Do you see any indication of congestion of your PVC such as BECN's or queue drops?

That's exactly what I thought at first so I checked for BECN or FECN on both the Hub Router and the remote routers and there were none. I also checked the visual uptime probes at both ends (multiple locations) and traffic seemed to be low to normal. Friday showed normal activity but this weekend since we are not open during the weekend showed barely any traffic and yet I still am getting messages of high queue drops and can see that the input queue of the ethernet interfaces has a large amounts of drops. I have not been able to catch anything actually in the queue though. This is very odd.

It sounds like something is generating alot of broadcast traffic. Especially if the problem persists when circuit usage is low. I would span the port and see if you can isolate what kind of traffic is causing your issues. The only thing that would be sent to the router and not off the local subnet would be broadcast traffic and trafic destined for the interface of the router.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card