cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Home Office T1 VPN Router / 1841 noise levels

jcvaughan
Level 1
Level 1

I have a remote user who lives in an area with poor broadband service and a decision has been made to install a T1 in their house. Normally for remote branches we've been using Cisco 2811 routers to terminate the T1s and manage the VPN tunnels.

The problem this time is that the router will be in this user's home office, which means the noise of a 2811 is not acceptable. I'm thinking of using a Cisco 1841, but, having never seen one in the flesh I don't know if the noise levels it generates are within acceptable limits for a home office.

I suppose I could buy a 1721, but I hate to buy an end-of-life product. Can anyone make recommendations or comment on the sound characteristics of the 1841?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's much quieter, but it still has a fan. Since it's a VPN could you use something like 3002 hardware client that has no fan?

Thanks Collin,

Since I'm having to terminate a T1, I don't think the 3002 will work (I can't see where they have a model that takes a WIC card).

If it's much quieter than the 2811 like you say, I think it will be fine. I'm guessing it's no louder than a typical desktop PC from the way you describe, and our user can live with that.

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Chris

I think the 1841 would be fine. I do not believe that it makes enough noise to be an issue.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Richard, I appreciate the help!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card