Views
Helpful
Replies

Hot Standby/Load Balancing for Internet using HSRP

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

juz got an idea, having 2 different routerz, each routerz pointing to 2 different ISP's & configured HSRP on to it, so will it work fine i mean load balance & hot standby, even if 1 router failz, still the otherz routerz routez the internet packetz?

----------------------------------------------

Router-A

interface serial 0/1

description Connected to ISP-1

ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.252

interface ethernet 0/1

no ip address

interface ethernet 0/1.1

encapsulation dot1q 1

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

standby 2 ip 192.168.1.254

standby 2 preempt

standby 2 priority 109

standby 2 timers 5 15

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial 0/1

Router-B

interface serial 0/1

description Connected to ISP-2

ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.252

interface ethernet 0/1

no ip address

interface ethernet 0/1

encapsulation dot1q 1

ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

standby 2 ip 192.168.1.254

standby 2 preempt

standby 2 priority 108

standby 2 timers 5 15

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial 0/1

----------------------------------------------

ofcourse all the workstationz will be having their gateway IP address 192.168.1.254 which is the virtual gateway IP address.

6 Replies 6

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Anand

With this config i dont think you will be able to achieve load balancing but of course you will be able to achieve redundancy.

do keep in mind that you need to have NAT configs in your router to take care of that.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008044edaa.html

regds

thankz prem,

but if i want to achieve the load balancing, the only possibility is through PBR isn't?

regarding NAT ofcourse i require that, which i forgot to type that.

nsirin
Level 1
Level 1

hi it's impossible. When you connect two diffrent ISP , it means you connect two diffrent AS. Each ISP has own real ip blocks and if you want to connect internet from ISP-1 you have to use one of ISP-1 registered ip address. In this scenerio you use one local ip block (it is private block but you can't use it on internet even if you use NAT your lan must be in same subnet).

Hi NSIRIN,

it is possible as this workz according to the priority, bcoz not 2 routerz r going 2 route the packetz at a time. only when you say a static NAT ofcourse it might be a probz. but not for redundancy.

but my question is, i wanted load balancing where the internet should be used with both the ISP's.

hi

I didnt look at the word 2 different isp as mentioned in your first post yes its possible to have 2 different overload statements riding with 2 different default gateways in your router but you can have outgoing load distributed on both the links but the incoming traffic may not be that evenly distributed in nature.

Because of the same you may experience performance degradation too which we have tested in few cases..

regds

thankz prem once again,

can you juz post a sample configuration, so that i can under clearly.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card