cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I verify traffic is reaching and returning from a destination?

joshualoatman
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco 3825 (ver 12.4(8c) that connects to a cisco 7206VXR(ver 12.4(24)T5) through a cloud carrier service.

How can I run a test to verify that packets from the 3825 are reaching the 7206 and that the 7206 is responding back to the 3825?

For example, if I send a ping from the  3825 and I get a time out how can I verify if the 7206 received the packet?

I know with firewalls you can do a tcpdump but can you do something similar on routers?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

access-list 100 permit Icmp host x.x.x.x host y.y.y.y

access-list 100 permit Icmp host y.y.y.y host x.x.x.x

debug ip packet detail 100

ping y.y.y.y source.x.x.x.x repeat 2

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of   the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You might try an ingress and/or egress ACL, and match the ICMP request/reply packets (look for hits on the ACL).

Later IOS versions also include embedded packet capture - your 12.4T version might support.

For things like these I typically enable the debug for ICMP on the target device and then I ping it. If I see the echo-request, then at least the first way is ok.

But before starting any debugs it's always a good idea to make sure the box is not under heavy load.

Mukesh Kumar
Level 3
Level 3

Hello joshualoatman

It will be good to create an ACL, in which you have to match exact source and destination ip address and then debug only the traffic of that ACL by using the following command:

debug ip packet <acl number>

Even you can use traceroute to verify where your data packet is dropping.

Regards,
Mukesh Kumar
Network Engineer
Spooster IT Services

Hello

access-list 100 permit Icmp host x.x.x.x host y.y.y.y

access-list 100 permit Icmp host y.y.y.y host x.x.x.x

debug ip packet detail 100

ping y.y.y.y source.x.x.x.x repeat 2

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card