cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I know or confirm this is not a fiber interface?

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Folks, I do 'show ip int brief' on a remote Cat 3750 and I see the info pasted in the bottom of this message.

My question is, is it a sure thing that the interfaces below are copper interfaces GigabitEthernet1/0/1, not fiber?

Imagine I need to connect a 2851(g0/0)interface to such switch. Is it a a sure thing that I can plan to connect the G0/0 on the router directly to the switch interfaces below since the switch interfaces below handle a standard RJ45?

Again, the cat 3750 is a remote site so I can't physically see it.

GigabitEthernet1/0/1 unassigned YES unset down down

GigabitEthernet1/0/2 unassigned YES unset down down

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Firt of all if you do show version it will tell you what type of 3750 it is (there is more than one type).

Then if you do show interface, it will tell you what media type is attached, native copper, or which SFP type.

Oh. Yes,'show int' shows me that for GigabitEthernet1/0/1, is media type is 1000BaseSX SFP.

For GigabitEthernet1/0/2, it says 'media type is Not Present'. I assume that means there is no physical interface there. I mean, let me know if by 'media type is not present' that means, no cable attached to the respective interface.

I see that 'show ver' shows me that is WS-C3750-24P.

GigabitEthernet1/0/2 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)

Hardware is Gigabit Ethernet, address is 000a.b860.1202 (bia 000a.b860.12

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive not set

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

First thing is to determine which model you are using> Do a show hard and look for this line:

cisco WS-C3750G-24TS (PowerPC405) processor (revision F0) with 118776K/12288K bytes of memory.

My "guess" is the they are SFP interfaces. but you need to dig up the specs on your specific module.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card