Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How do you get more WICs unto a 3925 router?

Hello all,

We have a customer that has an old 3925 router with the following interfaces:

VIC3-4FXS/DID

2x  HWIC-4A/S

VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1

2x VWIC2-2MFT-G703

NM-2FE2W-V2

For a totla of 6x WIC cards.  I know we can combine the 2x HWIC 4A/S into an HWIC-8A but it still leaves us with 5 WIC card in a 4 WIC chassis because of the end of sale on the NM-2FE2W-V2 which has been terminated.

This device is in a space and power restricted environment so the quick and expensive solution of getting 2x 3925E would not be feasible.

Is there another Cisco device that would support 5 WIC cards out there?

Thanks in advance.

Everyone's tags (4)
2 REPLIES

The 3925 has 4 WIC slots and 2 SM slots - you can get a converter that turns SM into NM (SM-NM-ADPTR) and maybe even one that turns an SM into HWIC too I think (maybe SM-SLOT-DIVIDER, never used it myself) so I don't see the problem?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Jamie Grive wrote:

The 3925 has 4 WIC slots and 2 SM slots - you can get a converter that turns SM into NM (SM-NM-ADPTR) and maybe even one that turns an SM into HWIC too I think (maybe SM-SLOT-DIVIDER, never used it myself) so I don't see the problem?

No, sm-slot-divider is a passive device that does not convert anything.

Regarding the OP question, the 3925 is not an old router. One can use 4-ports T1/E1 cards to increase density, there are also 8 -ports cards in form of network module.

Views
Helpful
Replies