cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How many DWDM (ITU) Xenpaks are supported in the CRS?

e.maloney
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a CRS/32 running Cisco IOS XR Software, Version 3.8.1[00], I was told there is a limitation on how many ITU (dwdm) 10G Xenpaks you can use in the 10-Gigabit Ethernet PLIM. I currently have four Xenpaks installed in one card, one of them is a dwdm Xenpak. Because of that I was told I cannot add a 5th Xenpak due to heat dissapation issues, is that true? Oversubscription is not an issue currently.

thanks,

e.maloney

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi, Yes, that's correct, you can only have four of them.

please take a look:

"the 10-GE PLIM supports from one to four pluggable dense wavelength-division multiplexing (DWDM) XENPAK optics modules, each providing full-duplex long-wavelength DWDM optics with SC fiber-optic interfaces. See the "8-Port 10-Gigabit Ethernet PLIM" section for general information regarding the PLIM.

When using DWDM optics modules on your 10-GE PLIM, an empty slot must exist next to each installed DWDM module to provide optimal cooling for the DWDM optics. For this reason, you can install up to four DWDM XENPAK modules in the 10-GE PLIM. Given this restriction and to optimize the PLIM for oversubscription, you should use port positions 0, 2, 5, and 7.

Caution From one to four DWDM XENPAK modules can be installed. If one DWDM XENPAK module is installed, a maximum of four XENPAK modules can be installed in the PLIM.

You can have more details at:

regards

Yesua.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

e.maloney
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, anyone have any idea? Can the cisco CRS

guru's answer this?

Thanks.

Hi, Yes, that's correct, you can only have four of them.

please take a look:

"the 10-GE PLIM supports from one to four pluggable dense wavelength-division multiplexing (DWDM) XENPAK optics modules, each providing full-duplex long-wavelength DWDM optics with SC fiber-optic interfaces. See the "8-Port 10-Gigabit Ethernet PLIM" section for general information regarding the PLIM.

When using DWDM optics modules on your 10-GE PLIM, an empty slot must exist next to each installed DWDM module to provide optimal cooling for the DWDM optics. For this reason, you can install up to four DWDM XENPAK modules in the 10-GE PLIM. Given this restriction and to optimize the PLIM for oversubscription, you should use port positions 0, 2, 5, and 7.

Caution From one to four DWDM XENPAK modules can be installed. If one DWDM XENPAK module is installed, a maximum of four XENPAK modules can be installed in the PLIM.

You can have more details at:

regards

Yesua.

great! Thanks so much. That is what I believed so thank you for clarifying.

e.maloney

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco