cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How small an increment can be used for setting preferred routes with EIGRP?

GRANT GATHAGAN
Level 1
Level 1

I have a gigabit connection between two building that involves a 60GHz radio link and is routed through an additional building with a fiber converter.

We now have a direct fiber connection between the two buildings and I would like to retain the older connection as a failover link.

From what I've read, the preferable method is to change the delay setting on the interfaces of the 1st link to make it a less-preferable path.

The delay on the interfaces for the current link is 10 usec.

Is changing that delay setting to 15usec. enough or should it be a longer delay?

If it needs to be longer, what would be an appropriate setting?

Attached is a representation of the connections

new route.png

4 Replies 4

libi.pappachen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We must be careful when you select the new delay. we do not want to increase the delay to a point where the router no longer views the backup link as a feasible successor.

The show ip eigrp topology command shows that the delay metric of both the link, so we can calculate an appropriate setting for the output.

BR,

Libi

Thanks for the reply.

The "show ip eigrp topology" command on the existing link shows an FD of 2816 on both interfaces of the link.

I can't measure the delay for the new link yet, as it's not set up.

I'm guessing that it will be a similar value, however.

If I'm correct and both links have values of 10usec, what would be a recommended delay?

I guess I can separate the two interfaces of the new link from the  rest of the network via a separate VLAN, set it up and test the delay.

Hi,

It will be ok if you put 12 or 15usec delay for the new link, let me know the status.

BR,

Libi

Aloha Libi,

Will do.

Just to clarify, the existing link is the one using the radio, so it will become the failover link and will be the one to which I add the delay.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: