Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure load balancing over the Static Route

Rafi Ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Freinds,

I need your help, I am about to inplement some network intergaration but  I am in some kind of confusion. I have attached the document which show the requirment.

We are multicasting through satellite across the world. I have home location where all the streaming take place and forward to Satellite ISP's network through LEASE connectivity. (Please check diagram)

At the moment everything is ok and no problem with situation. beacause we  have single link  which is connected with local swithc at home location and other site on L3 of ISP on perticula interface.

Now we have planned for redundancy and load balancing between  home location and ISP(Router to L3-ISP). we got two different P2P link from Airtel and TATA with capacity 20 MB.

and we will get router with 3 fastetherent interface. model is not decided!  we will not use any kind of routing protocall. so please guide me which  router should I get and is it possible that load balancing fail over possible on static route.

As home location we are managing and ISL(L3) at ISP- both link is terminated and with two differnet segment and its managed by ISP itself.

I hope you will undersatnd my requiremnt. so plz help me out and do write if anything inforamtion required.

Regards

Rafi Ahmed

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I would use IP SLA and configure it for load balancing.

Router(connected to the two links to ISP)

==============================

ip sla 1
icmp-echo 8.8.8.8 (whatever IP you want to configure to ping)
timeout 500 (value is ms)
frequency 3 (How many times to wait)
ip sla schedule 1 start-time now life forever
track 1 rtr 1 reachability

ip sla 2

ip sla schedule 2 start-time now life forever

track 2 rtr 2 reachability

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.1.1.1 track 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 2.2.2.2 track 2

1.1.1.1 = Whatever your next-hop is per ISP

This will create two static default routes with the same Administrative Distance.

If you do not get a ping response after 1.5 seconds, it will remove the static default route with track 1 and leave only the static default route with track 2. Once the link with track 1 comes ip, you will be load balancing again.

You will be doing Source/Destination load balancing.

Feel free to test this on GNS3 before implementation.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rafi Ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

Please help me out in this matter. I need to inplement as soon as possible. waiting for your response guys,

Thanks

Rafi

I would use IP SLA and configure it for load balancing.

Router(connected to the two links to ISP)

==============================

ip sla 1
ip sla schedule 1 start-time now life forever
track 1 rtr 1 reachability

ip sla 2

ip sla schedule 2 start-time now life forever

track 2 rtr 2 reachability

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.1.1.1 track 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 2.2.2.2 track 2

1.1.1.1 = Whatever your next-hop is per ISP

This will create two static default routes with the same Administrative Distance.

If you do not get a ping response after 1.5 seconds, it will remove the static default route with track 1 and leave only the static default route with track 2. Once the link with track 1 comes ip, you will be load balancing again.

You will be doing Source/Destination load balancing.

Feel free to test this on GNS3 before implementation.

Hi JohnTyler,

Thank you so much for answering, I am aware about it, but i am not sure, how it will response in multicasting, is it ok with load balancing, is there any special requirement.

I thoght if i configure two static route and increase AD value of second static route 1 to 2. in that load balance not work but can it take autoshifting one route to other route whenever any link goes donw.

Please correct me if I missing anything.

Thanks,

Rafi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco