cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to contain UDP traffics

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Imagine I have devices which muticasts and broadcasts tons of UDP traffic on a given network. Suggested solution is that I should put a router and let the device on the respective network (10.0.0.0/8) installed there. Note that the respective devices are hardcoded to use the 10.0.0.0/8 network. That way when the devices on the 10.0.0/8 broadcasts and multicast massive traffic, the router should block the whole unicast and brodcast traffic.

My question is this, if I connect the respective network devices which broadcast and unicast like crazy in on a Cat 3750 instead of a router, what type of feature or VLAN ACL should I use in order to contain such multicast and broadcast traffic and still allow communication between the devices on the Cat 3750 (10.0.0.8/24) with the corporate network? Is there any direct VLAN ACL I should use, or should I configure IP routing on the Cat 3750 in order to let it route from the 10.0.0.8/24 to the coporate_network? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes you are correct.

By default a layer 3 device will block all the broadcast acting as a boundary. In a L3 switch a broadcast would be limited to the VLAN and does not spill over to other VLANS

However te devices can be configured to support multicast in which a particular traffic might be required across a set of VLANs

You would however require ip routing to route between vlans

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Let me complement this saying that I am obviously I am aware the switch would contain the broadcast traffic there.

Then if I want that VLAN-All-ports-on-Switch-3750 communicate with my internal network and do not forward any broadcast and unicast, all I would need to do is enabling IP routing and route to the corporate network. Is that right?

Yes you are correct.

By default a layer 3 device will block all the broadcast acting as a boundary. In a L3 switch a broadcast would be limited to the VLAN and does not spill over to other VLANS

However te devices can be configured to support multicast in which a particular traffic might be required across a set of VLANs

You would however require ip routing to route between vlans

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card