Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to contain UDP traffics

Imagine I have devices which muticasts and broadcasts tons of UDP traffic on a given network. Suggested solution is that I should put a router and let the device on the respective network (10.0.0.0/8) installed there. Note that the respective devices are hardcoded to use the 10.0.0.0/8 network. That way when the devices on the 10.0.0/8 broadcasts and multicast massive traffic, the router should block the whole unicast and brodcast traffic.

My question is this, if I connect the respective network devices which broadcast and unicast like crazy in on a Cat 3750 instead of a router, what type of feature or VLAN ACL should I use in order to contain such multicast and broadcast traffic and still allow communication between the devices on the Cat 3750 (10.0.0.8/24) with the corporate network? Is there any direct VLAN ACL I should use, or should I configure IP routing on the Cat 3750 in order to let it route from the 10.0.0.8/24 to the coporate_network? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to contain UDP traffics

Yes you are correct.

By default a layer 3 device will block all the broadcast acting as a boundary. In a L3 switch a broadcast would be limited to the VLAN and does not spill over to other VLANS

However te devices can be configured to support multicast in which a particular traffic might be required across a set of VLANs

You would however require ip routing to route between vlans

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

2 REPLIES

Let me complement this saying that I am obviously I am aware the switch would contain the broadcast traffic there.

Then if I want that VLAN-All-ports-on-Switch-3750 communicate with my internal network and do not forward any broadcast and unicast, all I would need to do is enabling IP routing and route to the corporate network. Is that right?

Yes you are correct.

By default a layer 3 device will block all the broadcast acting as a boundary. In a L3 switch a broadcast would be limited to the VLAN and does not spill over to other VLANS

However te devices can be configured to support multicast in which a particular traffic might be required across a set of VLANs

You would however require ip routing to route between vlans

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content