cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to force a route?

eliezerfigueroa
Level 1
Level 1

I am having latency problems when trying to use MMORPG games. I have discover that the problem don't happen at all hours. I did a tracert at the time (daytime) of the problem (please check attached file traceroute1.txt) and discovered that it travels 25 hops to the destination. However at the hours (night time) when the latency is smaller and the game is playable the distance is only 19 hops (please check attached file traceroute2.txt). I also tried connecting to my office VPN and when I did I also got a shorter route and smaller latency at all hours (please check attached file traceroute3.txt). The company I work for use the same ISP provider that I am using at home.

I think that the problem might be that my ISP Company is trying to reserve the better routes to corporate customer during business hours and providing the more efficient (more expensive) routes to home customer only at night time.

Do I have any way to “instruct” my home ADSL router to use a given route when traveling to a given destination (maybe using a routing table)?

1 Reply 1

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Unfortunately, your DSL will have a default route to your ISP. After your traffic leaves your network to your ISP, you have no control over what paths it takes to get to the destination.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: