Views
Helpful
Replies

How to implement bandwidth distribution in 1841 router

darksilver26
Level 1
Level 1

hello cisco enthusiast.

I would like to ask help from you how would this configuration goes.

I got a 5MBps Lease Line Connection via FAST ETHERNET PORT. i got a Cisco 1841 Router.

I want to distribute bandwidth in this ratio 2MBps/2MBps/1MBps

2MBps = Office Connection

2MBps = Computer Laboratory Connection

1MBps = WIFI Connection

1841 has only 2 Fast Ethernet ports

so im planning to add up a 2modules of 2-Port Fast Ethernet High-Speed WIC for Cisco Integrated Services Routers

thank you

18 Replies 18

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The     Author of this posting offers the information contained within this     posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding  that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any   purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and   should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.   Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In     no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever   (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or   profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's   information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of  such  damage.

Posting

For leased line, if your router supports CBWFQ, you can setup classes for your 3 groups.  This would work well for outbound traffic, but inbound (unless you manage the far side's egress) is very, very difficult to effectively manage.

policy-map egressSample

class office

bandwidth percent 20

class lab

bandwidth percent 20

class wifi

bandwidth percent 10

You'll need class-maps to match traffic.

!

class-map match-all OFFICE

description *** Office Network ***

class-map match-all LAB

description *** Laboratory Network ***

class-map match-all WIFI

description *** Public Network***

!

policy-map EGRESS

class OFFICE

bandwidth percent 40

class LAB

bandwidth percent 40

class WIFI

bandwidth percent 20

!

!

!

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface Ethernet0/0/0

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface Serial0/1/0

ip address 212.115.130.140 255.255.255.0

clock rate 2000000

just confirmed the ISP Providers side they will be deploying the Lease Line via FE.

i was lookinf for a guide how would i apply the following policy map into each port. simulation done on packet tracert.

can you assist me further?

thank you

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Unknown exactly what your simulator will support, i.e. what I might suggest might not be accepted on it.  Also, even with real routers, features can vary, i.e. also again what I might suggest might not be accepted on your actual router.  Lastly, I'm not at a real router, at the moment, to verify syntax.  All that noted, something like:

ip access-list extended OFFICE

permit ip 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.255 any

match access-group OFFICE

(similar for other networks)

interface serial0/1/0 (or whatever interface you'll be using to isp)

service-policy output EGRESS

PS:

If hand-off will be FE, you'll like want a hierarchal policy.

e.g.

policy-map EGRESS_SHAPE

class class-default

service-policy EGRESS

shape average 5000000

(apply this policy to interface instead)

I'm aware that simulator vary on actual device especially with the IOS installed on it.

but with this. it will help me with the goal i want to attain. if i could make this work. all left with me to do access-list blocking like p2p and other bandwidth hog protocols.

the main concern is with the outbound traffic going to different locations.

will give feedback anytime once i got this working with a simulator. GNS3 would be a better option.

thank you for now.

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If your targeted IOS support HQF, I would also suggest adding fair-queue to each class queue.

If your IOS is pre-HQF, you policy might not be accepted with your bandwidth settings since the total beyond 75% (excluding default).  Either using smaller percentages (as I did earlier - ratios will still be preserved) or you'll need to change reserved bandwidth on interface.

for 1841 router. what IOS should be installed to support all your suggestions? im not familiar with IOS capability all i know enterprise has it all.

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Assuming its supported for the 1841, recall HQF is 12.4(20)T or later; any feature set.

Hello Joseph,

current version of the 1841 router im using is

Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-IPBASE-M), Version 12.4(17b)

Unknown exactly what your simulator will support, i.e. what I might suggest might not be accepted on it.  Also, even with real routers, features can vary, i.e. also again what I might suggest might not be accepted on your actual router.  Lastly, I'm not at a real router, at the moment, to verify syntax.  All that noted, something like:

permit ip 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.255 any

match access-group OFFICE

(similar for other networks)

interface serial0/1/0 (or whatever interface you'll be using to isp)

PS:

If hand-off will be FE, you'll like want a hierarchal policy.

e.g.

policy-map EGRESS_SHAPE

class class-default

service-policy EGRESS

shape average 5000000

(apply this policy to interface instead)

I wasn't able to apply the highlighted part...

current config as follows:

i got this error

Router(config-cmap)#match access-group OFFICE

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

current config:

description ** Office Network **

class-map match-all LABORATORY

description ** Laboratory Network **

class-map match-all WIFI

description ** Public Network **

!

!

policy-map EGRESS

class OFFICE

bandwidth percent 20

shape average 2000000

class LABORATORY

bandwidth percent 20

shape average 2000000

class WIFI

bandwidth percent 10

shape average 1000000

!

!

!

description *** LAN to OFFICE ***

speed 100

full-duplex

!

description *** LAN to LABORATORY ***

speed 100

full-duplex

!

interface Serial0/0/0

description *** WAN to ISP ***

clock rate 2000000

!

ip forward-protocol nd

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 212.115.130.13

!

ip http server

ip http access-class 23

ip http authentication local

ip http timeout-policy idle 60 life 86400 requests 10000

!

ip access-list extended LABORATORY

permit ip 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 any

permit ip 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.255 any

ip access-list extended WIFI

permit ip 192.168.2.0 0.0.0.255 any

!

I lack 1FE port on actual device

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Try:

match access-group name OFFICE

You should be able to apply policy to your serial.

Unless you have a really need to restrict outbound usage per class, remove the child class shapers.  The CBWFQ policy will insure each class gets its minimum proportion of bandwidth, but they can use more if its available (i.e. not being used by your other classes).

PS:

Since your simulator is pre-HQF, I would just shape for your aggregate.  This will enable WFQ for all flows.

Try:

You should be able to apply policy to your serial.

i was missing a syntax.

Unless you have a really need to restrict outbound usage per class, remove the child class shapers.  The CBWFQ policy will insure each class gets its minimum proportion of bandwidth, but they can use more if its available (i.e. not being used by your other classes).

All need to restrict is Download bandwidth from WAN to LAN(either OFFICE/LAB/WIFI), while Upload bandwidth will be maximized by OFFICE only(if possible to config this)

will i remove the shaping from the config?

PS:

Since your simulator is pre-HQF, I would just shape for your aggregate.  This will enable WFQ for all flows.

how would i "shape for aggregate?"

QOS really confused me alot....

current config:

!

match access-group name LABORATORY

class-map match-all WIFI

match access-group name WIFI

!

!

policy-map EGRESS

class OFFICE

bandwidth percent 20

shape average 2000000

class LABORATORY

bandwidth percent 20

shape average 2000000

class WIFI

bandwidth percent 10

shape average 1000000

policy-map EGRESS_SHAPE

class class-default

shape average 5000000

service-policy EGRESS

!

!

!

speed 100

full-duplex

!

speed 100

full-duplex

!

interface Serial0/0/0

clock rate 2000000

!

ip forward-protocol nd

!

ip http server

ip http access-class 23

!

!

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

All need to restrict is Download bandwidth from WAN to LAN(either OFFICE/LAB/WIFI), while Upload bandwidth will be maximized by OFFICE only(if possible to config this)

Download is difficult to correctly restrict.  For upload, you need the shaper if working with less than full interface bandwidth.

how would i "shape for aggregate?"

policy-map EGRESS_SHAPE

class class-default

shape average 5000000

Posting

Download is difficult to correctly restrict.  For upload, you need the shaper if working with less than full interface bandwidth.

Do the Current config will work?

to what interface will I put the EGRESS_SHAPE?

!

match access-group name LABORATORY

class-map match-all WIFI

match access-group name WIFI

!

!

policy-map EGRESS

class OFFICE

bandwidth percent 20

shape average 2000000

class LABORATORY

bandwidth percent 20

shape average 2000000

class WIFI

bandwidth percent 10

shape average 1000000

policy-map EGRESS_SHAPE

class class-default

shape average 5000000

service-policy EGRESS

!

!

!

speed 100

full-duplex

!

speed 100

full-duplex

!

interface Serial0/0/0

clock rate 2000000

!

ip forward-protocol nd

!

ip http server

ip http access-class 23

!

!

Thank you

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Carl Alfred Gumapas wrote:

Do the Current config will work?

It should, although I suggest this as better:

policy-map EGRESS

class OFFICE

bandwidth percent 20

class LABORATORY

bandwidth percent 20

class WIFI

bandwidth percent 10

policy-map EGRESS_SHAPE

class class-default

shape average 5000000

service-policy EGRESS

interface x

service-policy output EGRESS_SHAPE

Carl Alfred Gumapas wrote:

to what interface will I put the EGRESS_SHAPE?

Your WAN interface.

Matt Ehrhart
Level 1
Level 1

You want CBWFQ for outbound traffic (shaping) and policing for inbound traffic.  Policing is described in further detail:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t2/feature/guide/ftpoli.html#wp1019755

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card