Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How to implement redundent internet connection w/ 2 ISPs

We have 3 locations all connected to eachother over the internet with a VPN. We have Cisco 851-K9 routers with 1 Wan port. With our current ISP we are having constant outages and are needing a redundent ISP connection to take effect whenever the first ISP has an outage. Is this possible with the 851-K9 routers? If not what do I need to use in order to implement this current solution. The 851-k9 wan port is current being used with the first isp.

7 REPLIES

Re: How to implement redundent internet connection w/ 2 ISPs

Hi

What kinda connectivity you are planning to have on the router ?

The router model is based on the kinda connectivity you are going to have in place out there...

regds

The connectivity will be ethernet based. But if you are asking like broadband type, we currently have a Cable connection, and more than likely the backup will be a DSL connection which will likely connect to the router via ethernet. I hope this answers your quesiton.

Hi

You have one ethernet port available in your router with 4 port switch which i don't think you can make use of as a WAN port.

You need to look after a new router model which can support your requirement of 2 ports.

regds

I completely agree with you. Can you recommend which hardware would support my solution for a small business?

Hi

You can think about a Cisco 1751 router which comes up with On board ethernet port on which you can have Wic-1Enet card installed on the available free slots..

This can give you a total of 3 Ethernet ports which can be used to connect ur local lan and 2 isp connections.

You can also think of going on for a new ISR series boxes but they do support ESW Modules which is nothing but a switch module with different port densities.

But you wont be able to assign any ip on the switchport instead you can configure SVI(interface VLAN) and assign an ip address to it..

regds

I may suggest to get 1841 with bundled WIC-1ADSL. The router comes with 2xFE and two WIC slots (1 occupied with the bundled WIC-1ADSL )

You can connect your existing WAN to one of the FEand your LAN to the other FE. As you said that the backup link would most likely be ADSL, then this configuration is suitable for you.

Should you need more WAN connection in the future, you can expand by utilizing the empty WIC slot.

Thank you all. I believe we will be going with the 1811 because it has 2x wan ports integrated.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content