Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

How to make a Cisco 2811 router use the config on Flash rather than nvram.

If I copy the config from a Cisco 2811 router motherboard nvram to the Flash Card, can I make the Cisco 2811 router boot and use this config from the Flash Card rather than from the nvram. This way when we replace the router's motherboard we don't need to load the config into the new mother-board but just swap the Flash Card from the old router to new router. I think what I need to do is modigy the config register to make the router use the config on teh Flash Card. Any pointers to any useful URLs will be good.

6 REPLIES

Re: How to make a Cisco 2811 router use the config on Flash rath

Hi

I think there is no option to make the router to take the configuration from flash.

Its better if you would copy the running config to the flash and insert in the router after changing the motherboard and then

make a copy of the same from flash to start-up(nvram).

Hope this helps

regards

vanesh k

Silver

You can sure do it. Please check below link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1820/products_command_reference_chapter09186a0080080a14.html

You can use "boot system" & "boot config", however, I still recommend to save one more copy in the router memory in case the memory card failure then you still able to boot up the router and run the config.

Please let me know if it doesn't work for 2800.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jack,

Just have a doubt , If he is trying to change the motherboard , then he needs to freshly configure the router , I think It would be better to copy from flash , rather than configuring the boot and again reloading the router .

What do you say.

regards

vanesh k

Silver

When I understood you mean is the fresh router will not know how to boot from flash for the config. & image when there is no config. in the NVRAM. Right ?

You're right. According to before link. We still need to load the config. to the NVRAM manually but can be copied from the flash.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_tech_note09186a008073ee69.shtml

Yes, I agreed your point and we still need to copy the config from the flash to NVRAM for the correct config. to run properly.

More info. on config-reg.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/prod_troubleshooting_guide09186a00802c35d2.html

Hope this helps.

I haven't read all the pointed likns. But I get the feeling that I can keep a saved copy of config on the Flash Card but there is no way that a variable or a switch register bit can be set in a config register of the router to force the 2811 to boot and use from that saved config on Flash Card rather than from the startup config in nvram.

Silver

You're right. You can set the config-reg. to boot the image from flash but cannot config. from flash. Once you boot a fresh router, you have to copy the config. from flash to running-config. (then save to NVRAM) or NVRAM.

It is fine that you can store the copy of the config and image in the flash then prepare the router in office before deliver to the customer office.

Hope this helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content