Helpful
Replies

How to Merge Bandwidth of 3 links on one single router

Raja_D
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Need suggestion on below requirement:

We have 3 Internet leased lines 2Mb, 15Mb, and 10 Mb each.

2Mb and 15Mb are reserved for Home usuage while the 10 Mb is being used for office(Connected P2P)

2Mb and 10Mb belong to the same service provider while the 15 Mb belong to different service provider. 

Requirement is to merge the bandwidth of both 2Mb and 15Mb although they are of 2 seperate links and if possible to make use of the 10 mb link as well so as to get a total of 27 Mb bandwidth.

Is this possible to merge the Bandwidth of all the links? If possible what is the suggested cisco router with low price on which all these 3 links can be terminated ?

Kindly suggest.

Note: We had earlier used Load Balance Broadband Router TL-R470T+ onto which all the 3 links are connected, this was able to merge the bandwidth of 3 links but its noticed that this equipment is not able to perform a auto failover properly whenever one of the active link is failing. Its able to failover to the other available links but its taking time and the active sessions which are in place are getting disconnected.

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You might come close to meeting your requirements if you have a Cisco router that supports PfR.

Hi Joseph, 

Kindly explain me about PfR and how can this meet my requirement ?

please suggest the cisco router that suits to my requirements and the configuration that will enable the aggregation of the bandwidth. 

PfR has the capability to move flows to different paths.  It tracks load dynamically.  So, for instance, it might move flows about to have all 3 of your paths running at 50%.

It works fairly well, but it moves flows, and it doesn't split flows.  This means one flow would not be able to obtain more than your maximum bandwidth link's bandwidth.  It also means, few flows, especially flows with very, very different bandwidth usages, make it difficult to obtain equal bandwidth usage across all your links.

It also has features such as dynamically obtaining the best end-to-end performance for a flow.  It will also dynamically deal with link outages.

You can read more about the technology starting here: www.cisco.com/go/pfr

As to a device that supports this, I think a low-end ISR 4K would with the correct licensing.

vamikhai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello.

If you are looking for a merge without any fancy features (like link SLA measurement), you may try unequal cost load-balancing in EIGRP.

http://blog.ine.com/2009/05/01/understanding-unequal-cost-load-balancing/

a.alekseev
Level 7
Level 7

Do you have BGP peering with your ISPs?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card