cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to set Backup delay for serial interface to ethernet interface ?

vignesh10
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have two point 2 point links from two different ISP from  my branch office to head office. One is Serial interface and another one is Ethernet interface.

i want to config serial as primary link and ethernet as backup link  (automatic switch over).i herewidth attach the diagram also.

plz send the differnet  type of backup delay config.

Thnks

Vicky

16 Replies 16

Hitesh Vinzoda
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I would like suggest have floating static default route as below with IP sla tracking

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 track 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 < next-hop secondary ISP> 254   >> (254 is AD, so route 1 will be always preferred, track this route with IP SLA)

track 1 rtr 1

ip sla 1
icmp-echo
frequency 5
ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now

Route no. 1 is only installed, if the ping response to ISP 1 is there, so line protocol is up but its not reachable the route is withdrawn and secondary route with AD 254 is installed in routing table and used.

When the ping is successfull route in installed again and preferred due to less AD.

HTH

Hitesh Vinzoda

Pls rate useful posts

Be careful when choosing the SLA target host in this scenario.  Chances are the target will also be available over the surviving link; causing the router to constantly install/remove the default route over the circuit that has lost integrity.

A creative way to force the SLA target to only take the link it’s intended to protect will have to be utilized such as a floating static to null0.

Chris

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card