cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to set the time

mkingcsnm
Level 1
Level 1

Guys I'm very new to Cisco so please have patience.

I have a Cisco 2620 V 12.3(26)

I would like to know how to set the correct time and date?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

michael

The fact that your router does not maintain time over a reboot/reload does not have anything to do with the config and whether it was saved or not. It has to do with the router hardware. Some routers have a clock chip that maintains time over a reboot/reload. But the 2620 does not have this. So it goes back to default time when it boots.

The solution suggested by Kev is the correct way to set time once the router is running. But that time is not preserved over a boot process and you would need to set the time each time the router boots.

If the router has access to the Internet then an option would be to configure the router to use NTP and to learn correct time from an Internet NTP source (there are many available). If you run NTP then after the router boots it will learn the correct time and you will not need to worry about it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

ktwaddell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

clock set 12:07:00 15 september 2009

Don't forget to rate

Thanks

kev

Hi thanks for that. I put in what you stated and did a write mem afterwards but it still seems to default to mar 1 00:00:31 after a reload. Should I be doing something else?

Hi

when you write mem, did it report anything back?

also can you paste the config on here to look at?

Thanks

Kev

Hi Kev,

No messages were received when the write mem command was issued.

Here is a line from the config after reload:

*Mar 1 00:00:33.107: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthern

et0/0, changed state to up

what about the config?

also can you make any changes at ll that stick after a reboot?

looks like the config is alright:

NVRAM config last updated at 12:22:44 UTC Tue Sep 15 2009pool.

Not sure where the other time is being picked up from.

well the config tells you how the logs are timestamped

are any NEW logs being timestamped correctly? if not, check the timestamp config

How do I check that?

take out a cable from you're fastethernet and it will log the status going down and then you can check timestamp

michael

The fact that your router does not maintain time over a reboot/reload does not have anything to do with the config and whether it was saved or not. It has to do with the router hardware. Some routers have a clock chip that maintains time over a reboot/reload. But the 2620 does not have this. So it goes back to default time when it boots.

The solution suggested by Kev is the correct way to set time once the router is running. But that time is not preserved over a boot process and you would need to set the time each time the router boots.

If the router has access to the Internet then an option would be to configure the router to use NTP and to learn correct time from an Internet NTP source (there are many available). If you run NTP then after the router boots it will learn the correct time and you will not need to worry about it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

'The fact that your router does not maintain time over a reboot/reload does not have anything to do with the config and whether it was saved or not. It has to do with the router hardware. Some routers have a clock chip that maintains time over a reboot/reload. But the 2620 does not have this. So it goes back to default time when it boots.

The solution suggested by Kev is the correct way to set time once the router is running. But that time is not preserved over a boot process and you would need to set the time each time the router boots. '

I never knew that, all our kit uses NTP and never come across that.

Thanks

Kev

Excellent, thanks guys.

Kev

Some routers do have the chip to maintain time and some do not. Without knowing what your kit is we do not know whether it would maintain time over a boot. I do believe that running NTP is the optimum solution, whether the router has the ability to maintain time over a boot or not it is better to run NTP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco