cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to turn off fiber GBIC and force 3925e router to use copper NIC?

Owen Mould
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 3925e router running IOS 15.1(4)M6. One of its current WAN connections is 1000BaseT. We want to migrate it to 1000BaseF. We have the GBIC (GLC-SX-MM) and I know I can just drop it in there.

HOWEVER: I would like to drop it in there whenever I want and have the router continue to use the 1000BaseT interface until I'm ready to switch over. What's the command for "ignore that GBIC and keep using the copper interface"?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I think you are looking for the "media-type rj45" command in interface-mode. Later you change to "media-type sfp" when you are ready to switch links.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The default, at least I believe, is g0/0 in software. If you're using g0/1 or 2 now, are you concerned if you connect the fiber module to the router that it will try to pass traffic over that interface instead? If so, you can shut g0/0 and insert your module now and it won't come up until you bring the interface up....I think I'm completely misunderstanding what you're wanting.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

I think you are looking for the "media-type rj45" command in interface-mode. Later you change to "media-type sfp" when you are ready to switch links.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Right you are. I tried that before, but it didn't work--because I didn't have anything plugged into it.

Sorry, it's my first day back from vacation and I'm getting some ID10T errors!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card