cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to use the secondary link to access a particular server from remote location using BGP

shijomon scaria
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

My remote location connected to the HO using primary and secondary links. BGP is the protocol running in between. How can I make the users at HO to access a particular server (which is non critical for the business) from remote location using the secondary link. The mentioned server and all other servers are in the same network at the remote location. Is there any way to filter out a particular host from the primary link.

Thanks in advance.

Shijo.

7 Replies 7

Akash Agrawal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Shijo,

Routing can only be done for prefixes but not for particular host. You need to originate /32 prefix from HO to prefer it via secondary link on remote branch.

-Akash

------ Please don't forget to rate helpful posts --------

Hi Akash,

Thanks for the reply.

What I understand from you reply is that, instead advertising the entire network I should advertize the hosts individually with a /32 prefix. Correct me if I am wrong please

Really appreciate if you could elaborate it with an example.

Regards,

Shijo.

Hi Shijo,

You need to put that server in a different VLAN and assign different /30 ip address. Say suppose vlan 100 is getting terminated on R1 and all servers are connected on switch sw1. Put the server(in question) in different vlan, say vlan 200, and create another sub-interface on R1 for vlan 200 then BGP origination can be done for that /30 prefix. But communication between servers and the server in question will happen through router.

-Akash

Dear Akash,

Thanks for the reply.

I got your point, but putting the server in another VLAN will be a problem coz all the servers are in production environment.

I am actually looking for a workaround using the BGP route filter features.

Regards.

Shijo.

Hi Shijo,

Using BGP (or any routing protocol), you can customize routing for one prefix but not for one host inside that prefix.  I don't think it is possible.

Regards,

Akash

Hi Akash,

Thanks a lot for your support.

Regards,

Shijo.

Please use PBR(route map) using access-list.

HO(config)#ip access-list extended remote-svr

permit ip any host x.x.x.x

HO(config)#route map policy 10

match ip address remote-svr

set ip next hop x.x.x.x(remote end ip of secondary link)

Please let me know if it works or not.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card