Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Active/Standby route

Deltaplane23
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How I can know that all the packets take the router A DLCI when I'm connected on the console of router B.

I know that show standby show me which router is active but, where I can find that all packets take, 172.16.204.61( so/0 of router A) either 172.16.205.61 ( s0/0 of router B).

And what is the definition of timer holdtime ? Is that the time that the state of the hellotime is valid ?

Thank you.

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can clear the counters in the interface s0/0 from both routers and see which router is incrementing its counter faster.

With HSRP, you are influencing the egress traffic towards the remote connection but depending upon the routing protocol, the return traffic may come via the other router.

show interface s0/0 will give you an idea of the traffic.

You can also deploy NetFlow if your routers support it.

As for the holdtime, that's how long the HSRP peers will wait before considering its neighbor down/unreachable.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

Thank you.

I have EIGRP for routing protocol.

This protocol made the load balancing right ? Not the HSRP ?

It will load balance equal cost routes, by default.

__

Edison.

I'm working for the company who owns the canada air traffic control then...

For the holdtime in HSRP,

If an application doesn't have a radar signal within 2.5 seconds,

he lost the " mosaïc " ( FROM THE IP NETWORK) and switch on the fallback. ( DIRECT RADAR IN RS-232)

So with HSRP configured like his on the e0/0(remote site):

standby delay minimum 30 reload 30

standby 1 ip ...

standby 1 timers 1 3

standby 1 priority 105

standby 1 preempt

The timers parameters affect the mosaic concept when the actif router fail and switch on the standby or not?

Thank you.

What's your definition of 'fail' ?

The only way the secondary HSRP router will take over if this router is physically down or is unable to send HSRP keepalives within 3 seconds.

If this router is connected to a WAN connection via another interface and that WAN connection fails, the HSRP active duty won't be switchover to the standby unless you track the WAN interface status.

Please take a moment and read the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipapp/configuration/guide/ipapp_hsrp_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Fail = Router down or lost of serial link of actif router

I need to submit a request to the senior network admin who doesn't put HSRP concept in the proof of perfomance(Maybe because we can't test it).

I'm trying to figure out a way to test HSRP before certify the equipement and make it operational.

The lost of serial interface of active router and the turn-off the active router was my 2 initials tests for testing that HSRP flip over.

It's working, the B take the actif state.

But, now with you said, the lost of WAN doesn't affect the HSRP ? But if the s0/0 doesn't give up, the hello messages failure doesn't following ?

Sorry but this concept is new for me, I have not complete yet my routing/switching for the CCNP but I'm only the one who can submit a request to the network admin to make a procedure to test HSRP.

Thank you.

Your current configuration will only work if the router is down. It won't work if you lose the serial link. If you want to make it work while losing the serial link, you need to track the state of the serial link and decrement the priority value - all done in the same command.

Please take a moment and read the documentation I posted before. It isn't that hard and if you have lab, you can play around with all the features. The documentation provides templates and diagrams that you can easily follow.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card