Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

HSRP and Path Selction based on Link Quality

Hello,

I know that HSRP will automatically failover if a circuit is detected as down.  Is there a way to force packets out of Router B even thorugh Router A is up but the ciscuit is taking errors, bad quality etc.?  Running Voice over the WAN but I want to have voice always use the better connection even if they are both up.

Thanks in advance!  All replies rated.

2 REPLIES
Super Bronze

DisclaimerThe Author of this

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I'm unsure about HSRP, it might be possible with SLA tracking.

Otherwise, I believe PfR can move traffic between egress paths based on quality issues.

Well this can be achived

Well this can be achived using multiple techniques together although is not easy. 

With HSRP you cannot really force traffic over the standby, because the IP is not active. So you would have to force the failover changing the priority. You could achieve this having an IP SLA with UDP jitter, or MOS simulation and when the value drops, you can trigger an object tracking and an EMM script to change the running config and force the HSRP to move to the other Router. 

Usually you wouldn't have to do this at your 'Default gateway' level but further up at your routing egress. Meaning HSRP could stay the same, but just change your routing with object tracking, IP SLAs and EMM. 

Also PfR is an option, but a slightly more complicated one. I don't know about much people with successful implementations on this. 

Views
Helpful
Replies