Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP and RIPv2

gavin.mckee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a connection to a carrier who has dual routers connected to our network. One acts as failover. We don't have access to these routes but we learn routes to their networks from it. I think they redistribute routes into our network.

The problem is they say the HSRP address is 172.22.152.50, i see routes advertised as coming from 172.22.152.51. Should I be seeing RIP routes learned from the HSRP address?

Any comments well rated!

Gavin

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Gavin

Routers don't exchange routes using the HSRP address. They use the physical interface address instead. So what you are seeing is correct - RIP routes showing the next hop address as the IP address of the physical interface.

HSRP is really for end stations(servers/hosts/switch management etc.).

HTH

ms01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Gavin,

you will learn your RIP routes from the interface address of your carrier router, which is speaking RIP. So if you look in your routing table, you should see the interface address as nexthop and not the hsrp address.

regards

Michael

kamal-learn
Level 4
Level 4

hi

try to elaborate more the problem, and provide us with a schem .(where rip is used, do you use a static routing or a dynamic routing between you and the carrier..., do you have another exit to internet with adifferent ISP, are u unsing BGP for that, may be they are using your network as a transit network to the internet if your mBGP is not tuned....)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco