Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Configuration

teriyaghoubian
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am designing a redundant WAN environment and i just wanted to get some ideas on configuring HSRP between PE and CE. Customer has a single 20Mbs service to our core SOUL Australia. I want to get a clear picture on how HSRP works. I have attached a diagram that explains what i have done thus far. CE connected to two PE routers and a VR virtual router that is the Default gateway for CE incase the Primary PE fails. Can anyone advise on how i can do this? do i need two physical connections from the CE to ISP for HSRP to work?

Can i use one interface and achieve this any help or diagram would be appriciated.

Is the diagram correct???

Thank You

Teri

4 Replies 4

twojciac
Level 1
Level 1

Why not push the SP to use your routing protocol in the VRF and intelligently select the route?

Hi and Thank you for your response.

The customer will be peering with use using BGP for WAN and internet. Could you please explain what you ment by intelligently select the route? In our core we have full redundancy this is only between CE and PE if the interface or the PE fails.

could you give me examples of what you mean.

Thanks you again

Teri

Hello Teri,

since you are peering using BGP, you can use either the local preference or the weight attribute on the CE router to prefer one outbound path, and in case this one fails, go over the other. The configuration would look like this:

CE_Router

router bgp 65134

neighbor 192.168.1.1 remote-as 65133 weight 150

neighbor 192.168.1.2 remote-as 65132

This would prefer the route through the PE router with peering address 192.168.1.1.

Then again, unless there is a specific need to use BGP, a simple static default route from the PE router pointing to the virtual IP address of the two PE routers would achieve the same.

Does that make sense ?

Regards,

GP

Hi Georg,

I am going to use a local BGP preference to peer the customer with our PE. I didn't realise i could use static default route from CE to point to the virtual IP address of the two PE if thought that was HSRP?

This looks good much easier than i thought. Thank you for the clarification and the config.

Good luck with your CCIE, i think iam going to give that one a miss as it's not very easy.

Thank You

Teri

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card