cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP - Configuring redundant router as MPLS endpoint

tylerlucas
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have a 3845 in our datacenter.  This serves as the head-end endpoint for our MPLS cloud.  Currently connects to the MPLS cloud via Ethernet.

We want to add a second router so that we do not have a single point of failure.  Plan on using HSRP or VRRP for redundancy.

The IP address on the MPLS facing interface is a public IP from our service provider.  When configuring the 2nd router, will I need to purchase an entire second line from the service provider, or will they be able to supply me a "backup"?  Just a little confused on how this all will work. 

If our primary router goes down, how will they know to begin forwarding traffic to the other router?

3 Replies 3

tylerlucas
Level 1
Level 1

Or can I simply configure HSRP on the LAN side and the MPLS side? Using the public IP from the MPLS interface as the "fake" address?

Robin Martinez
Level 1
Level 1

In order to achieve redundancy from the datacenter into the MPLS cloud you will need to order a second line from your service provider to terminate on the second router. Otherwise you are only protected from hardware failure, not a circuit failure which is probably more likely to happen.

You may be able to negotiate some kind of discount for having two but in general you will be looking at paying about as much for the 2nd one as you are for the first circuit.

In order to achieve redundancy from the datacenter into the MPLS cloud you will need to order a second line from your service provider to terminate on the second router. Otherwise you are only protected from hardware failure, not a circuit failure which is probably more likely to happen.

You may be able to negotiate some kind of discount for having two but in general you will be looking at paying about as much for the 2nd one as you are for the first circuit.

Ok.  If I only wanted hardware redundancy, then could I use the MPLS IP as the masked HSRP IP?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card