cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP in different locations

Brent Rockburn
Level 2
Level 2

Is it possible to have two routers in HSRP when they are in different geographical locations? I have little experience with HSRP.

Thanks,

Brent

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brent

HSRP relies on L2 adjacency ie. the 2 devices must be connected with a layer 2 link. So in answer to your question, yes you can run HSRP between 2 locations as long as the 2 locations are connected with a L2 link and the same vlan is in both locations.

Whether or not you would want to is another matter ! What exactly is it you are trying to achieve ?

Jon

Hey Jon, thanks for the quick reply.

I have one site here where I am .. and the DR site is in a city to the south of us. We have a DS3 link between us and them. Our branch offices need to be able to hit the DR site in case our head office falls off the map.

Okay, setting up a DR site can be quite a complex scenario and we would need to understand your topology/routing protocols/IP addressing etc. to suggest a solution.

HSRP will not work across a L3 routed link only a switched L2 link.

Jon

Hey Jon,

Thanks, I know I'm not giving you much in the way of info .. sorry about that.. but I do believe you've answered my question. The routers wouldn't be on the same L2 segment so I don't think this would work.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card