Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP or Load balancing

rafaelgarcia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two 1760 router that are connected to the same destination network using two frame-relay T1s. I would like to combine them into only one router and keep my two connections.

Because of that, I would have duplicated entries on my routing table to the destination network. I want to create some type of redundancy such as HSRP or Load balancing but I am not very familiar regarding their differences.

Can anybody suggest which one should apply? and Why?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rafael

HSRP operates in LAN environments and is not a protocol for WAN. So there is not any way to use HSRP to provide redundancy for the Frame Relay T1s. It should be quite possible to get the benefit of redundancy and failover on the 2 connections. Your message was not clear whether you are running a dynamic routing protocol over the Frame Relay links or are using something else like static routes. It would be especially easy if you are running a dynamic routing protocol. A dynamic routing protocol will discover that it has two routes to the remote destinations and if the metrics are equal the dynamic routing protocol will put both paths into the routing table and will do load sharing. If something happens and one of the Frame Relay links develops a problem then the dynamic routing protocol will recognize the problem and will send all traffic over the surviving Frame Relay link.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am running EIGRP as a routing protocol. So what do you recommend GLBP instead?

Rafael

Unless there is something about your environment not indicated in the original post I do not believe that you need anything as sophisticated and as complex as GLBP. If you run EIGRP over both the links you will get load sharing on the links, and you will get failover if one of the links fails. It seems to me that is what you need.

And besides when I look at the software advisor on CCO I am not sure that the 1721 even supports GLBP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

The main reason of my implementation is because we are running VoIP. Since voice is very sensitive, would EIGRP do the work? Is GLBP that complicated?

Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card