cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP or VRRP

vijay.sinha
Level 1
Level 1

I wanted to know which high availability protocol is good in a network environment with cisco switch & router.

HSRP or VRRP though we all know HSRP is a cisco standard but my colleagues are suggesting VRRP over HSRP.

I would like feedback from my colleagues in this NetPro Forum that which one is better HSRP or VRRP and advantages of using HSRP.

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

cindylee27
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Vijay,

I am about to ask this as well but mine phase as below.. :)

I would like to know what is the diff between VRRP and HSRP.. Both are functioning the same way rite?

What are the diff and why cisco decided to have both of them for the router..? Is it diff for diff scenario network setup?

Thanks in advanced.. :)

The only significant difference between HSRP and VRRP is HSRP is Cisco Proprietary whereas VRRP is an industry standard protocol. The configuration tasks are somewhat different but they produce the same results. If it's a multi-vendor environment then VRRP will be your only option instead if it's a purely Cisco environment then you can use either one.

HTH

Sundar

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

Agree with Sundar. The only real difference is Proprietary vs. open-standard. So it depends on your environment.

Also, if you are considering high availability, remember that during switchover there will be outages (although very short). You can consider also GLBP:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1838/products_feature_guide09186a0080134a35.html

abdel_n
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Take a look at the enclosed .pdf, a very useful comparison of redundancy protocols, I hope this will help you to choose the appropriate protocol based on your requirements.

Good work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card