cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP question

wgranada1
Level 1
Level 1

Quick question....can you set up HSRP on a WAN interface, one frame relay and the other ISDN line or is this for only ethernet?

35 Replies 35

Hi Kuldeep,

So how can i use HSRP ?

You would need to have two 3560, create VLANs and configure SVIs on both 3560, assign unique IP addresses to both 3560 in each VLANs and subsequently, in each VLAN, you would configure both 3560 for HSRP operation. In addition, the second 3560 would need to also have its own connectivity to other networks (internet etc.) to actually be capable of providing a working default gateway.

So for example (VLANs and addresses are totally invented and not related to your network):

3560-1:

interface Vlan11

ip address 10.0.11.1 255.255.255.0

standby 11 ip 10.0.11.254

standby 11 priority 110

standby 11 preempt

!

interface Vlan12

ip address 10.0.12.1 255.255.255.0

standby 12 ip 10.0.12.254

standby 12 priority 110

standby 12 preempt

!

interface Vlan13

ip address 10.0.13.1 255.255.255.0

standby 13 ip 10.0.13.254

standby 13 preempt

!

interface Vlan14

ip address 10.0.14.1 255.255.255.0

standby 14 ip 10.0.14.254

standby 14 preempt

3560-2:

interface Vlan11

ip address 10.0.11.2 255.255.255.0

standby 11 ip 10.0.11.254

standby 11 preempt

!

interface Vlan12

ip address 10.0.12.2 255.255.255.0

standby 12 ip 10.0.12.254

standby 12 preempt

!

interface Vlan13

ip address 10.0.13.2 255.255.255.0

standby 13 ip 10.0.13.254

standby 13 priority 110

standby 13 preempt

!

interface Vlan14

ip address 10.0.14.2 255.255.255.0

standby 14 ip 10.0.14.254

standby 14 priority 110

standby 14 preempt

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

1) You mean to say, i do not need to remove router from

my existing location, only Cisco L3 switch will be

required at second location and not need of Router

at second location ? Plz just sketch a diagram

2) As we discussed earlier, HSRP does not work with

serial port but cisco does allow. plz see given

questions of this URL FAQ section:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a00800a9679.shtml#q3

Q. When an active router tracks serial 0 and the serial

line goes down, how does the standby router know to

become active?

Q. Based on the documentation, it looks like I

can use HSRP to achieve load-balancing across

two serial links. Is this true?

3)  As you stated in this post that " HSRP is not to provide

redundancy between routers - HSRP provides redundancy

of the default gateway for PC's ".  What does mean of this line ?

i had read many articles that HSRP used for Router

redundancy but you are denied ???

Hi Kuldeep,

just to make things clear for you. This is scenario where you would use HSRP/VRRP/GLBP. The idea behind these protocols is the same but the way in which they function is slightly different. But don't become confused by that!

Look at this scenario. There are 2 routers on the same network and they are interconnected through switch. Hosts (PCs, Laptops) are connected through switch as well. To access the Internet, they have to have some default gateway ( i.e. Router). But which router they should use? There are two of them!

If you manually configure hosts to use only Router 1, Router 2 will be unused. And what if Router 1 fails? Router 2 could be backup because he also knows how to get to the internet, but how? Well, this is the time when HSRP/VRRP/GLBP (FHRP protocols) comes to play.

One more thing. The family of these protocols is called FHRP (First hop redundancy protocol)  and that should be enough to understand their purpose. They simply  provide redundancy of first hop from the view of host - therefore they  provide redundancy of default gateway.

When you configure these two Routers with any of these FHRP they will use ONE virtual IP address which you configure hosts to use and when one of the Router fails, the other will forward the traffic. In addition - you can configure it in such manner that Routers will keep an eye on the serial interface as well (track interface command) and when it comes down, the other Router will forward the traffic. This is handy because otherwise the FHRP would work only when the whole Router (or fa0/0) comes down. It would not detect any failure, hosts would send packet to this Router and Router, which serial interface is down, would drop the packets.

I hope that will make it more clear to you. So you only configure redundancy for hosts IN THE SAME NETWORK to the routers IN THE SAME NETWORK - 192.168.0.0/24 in my example. You CANNOT configure redundany like this between DIFFFERENT NETWORKS. The concept of FHRP is not designed to solve these kind of problems...

Best regards,

Jan

Hello Jan,

This is an awesome answer! Rated as deserved.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Jan,

First of all, thnx for nice explanation.

But still i have confusion with some points:

1) what do you want to explain through these lines

(Red highlighted), plz explain in simple way.

Does HSRP work on Serial port,

Can i replace s0/0 Wan port with FE port:

Routers will keep an eye on the serial interface as

well (track  interface command) and when it comes down,

the other Router will forward  the traffic. This is handy

because otherwise the FHRP would work only  when

the whole Router (or fa0/0) comes down. It would not

detect any  failure, hosts would send packet to this Router

and Router, which serial  interface is down, would drop the packets.

2) Can i use other method like Floating static route with

AD (administrative distance) at place of HSRP

in your attached diagram. If yes, then what is basic

functionality difference between them ?

3)  @PETER stated :

HSRP is not to provide redundancy between routers -

HSRP provides redundancy of the default gateway for PC's ". 

What does mean of this line ? But we are performing

redundancy with two router here ( like as your attached diagram) ?

Hi Kuldeep,

you're welcome!

1) what do you want to explain through these lines

(Red highlighted), plz explain in simple way.

Does HSRP work on Serial port,

Can i replace s0/0 Wan port with FE port:

No, HSRP don't work on serial port simply because there are no hosts on this segment. You don't need to provide gateway redundancy to the other router, just hosts. Router does not need gateway , it uses routing table. Users - hosts do need gateway - and FHRP protocols are designed for them. So in my picture: HSRP works only at the green area - which is one IP network subnet 192.168.0.0/24.

HSRP will not work between different colour areas - simply because HSRP cannot function in different IP networks, it has to be one and the same!!!

Routers will keep an eye on the serial interface as

well (track  interface command) and when it comes down,

the other Router will forward  the traffic. This is handy

because otherwise the FHRP would work only  when

the whole Router (or fa0/0) comes down. It would not

detect any  failure, hosts would send packet to this Router

and Router, which serial  interface is down, would drop the packets.

Once again, look a my diagram. I will provide basic HSRP configuration to tell you what I meant.

R1(config)#interface fastethernet0/0
R1(config-if)#ip address 192.168.0.2
R1(config-if)#standby 1 ip 192.168.0.1

R2(config)#interface fastethernet0/0
R2(config-if)#ip address 192.168.0.3
R2(config-if)#standby 1 ip 192.168.0.1

In such case, Router2 will become active(forwarding) and Router1 will become standby router.

If Router2 fails for some reason(or fa0/0 fails) Router1 will not be able to contact it and will assume that Router2 is down.

Therefore Router1 will start to forward traffic instead of Router2. That is classic HSRP behaviour.

But what about this: Router2 is active router. Router1 is standby.

Router's 2 serial interface will come down. HSRP won't notice anything, all the traffic from hosts will be forwarded to Router2 although it's interface leading to internet (s0/0/0) is down! HSRP won't notice change because it communicates through LAN 192.168.0.0/24 and there is everything just fine.

In such case we can use the standby 1 track Serial0/0/0 on both routers. This command will keep an eye on the serial interface and in case of outage, the other router with functional link towards the internet will become the active router. That is what I meant with that red highlighted part. For more information please look here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094e8c.shtml

But it does not mean that HSRP then works on serial interface! Not at all! It just checks the interface for functionality. All of the HSRP messages are still exchanged only through the same IP network 192.168.0.0/24 in this case. HSRP cannot communicate through different IP networks, because its messages are not routed, they are only local to some LAN !

2) Can i use other method like Floating static route with

AD (administrative distance) at place of HSRP

in your attached diagram. If yes, then what is basic

functionality difference between them ?

Floating static route is a way to provide ROUTE BACKUPs, not First Hop redundancy to hosts! So these are two different things.

I see your confusion as you are placing these two completely different things side to side. Backing up routes or route redundancy does nothing to do with gateway redundancy for hosts!

If the route towards internet on Router1 or Router2 is lost or not present, HSRP will not find out!!! It only looks if the device in still there. In case of the track command that I have shown you - HSRP will look if the interface is up and running - but will not find out if the Router has no route to Internet!!!

3)  @PETER stated :

HSRP is not to provide redundancy between routers -

HSRP provides redundancy of the default gateway for PC's ". 

What does mean of this line ? But we are performing

redundancy with two router here ( like as your attached diagram) ?

I cannot explain in better than Peter. Trust me . He is the best amongst the best. I can try however write it in my own way.

Yes, there are two routers. But these routers are used as default gateways for users in this network. They are simply the first L3 device on the way out from the network (First hop). If any host in network 192.168.0.0/24 wants to communicate with Internet, all the packets are sent to one of these routers. But to which one? Only one of this router can be DEFAULT GATEWAY for host. If you look at the internet connection in your PC, there is IP address, IP mask and Gateway address. We are talking here about the last thing.

The idea behind having 2 routers in this topology is to provide default gateway redundancy to hosts. If one router fails, users will still be able to communicate with outside world thanks to HSRP! They won't be able to do it without HSRP simply because computer can use only ONE default gateway. But how do you tell the PC to change it if it fails? You simply cannot.

Remember that Router1 has IP address 192.168.0.2, Router2 has IP address 192.168.0.3

But PC can't have these 2 addresses configured as default gateway at one time!

HSRP will configure two routers with same VIRTUAL IP address 192.168.0.1 in this case.

PC will be configured with 192.168.0.1 as default gateway and that solves the problem!

HSRP will take care of which of the routers will forward the traffic for real.

Hope that helps a little.

Best regards,

Jan

Hi Jan,

That is what i am looking for....Finally

I would like to give you 100 out of 100

Thnx to peter also

KS

Hi Kuldeep,

I am very glad to hear that! Thank you!

Best regards,

Jan

Hi Jan,

I forget to ask something thing to you :

1) your diagram have only two wan link, does HSRP works

only on 2 wan link, suppose i have 3 wan link.

then what i will do in that case ?

2) How GLBP differ from HSRP ? plz give me simple ex.

3) i feel that answer of this post is wrong, check once

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/159280

Hi Kuldeep,

I forget to ask something thing is that your diagram have only two wan link,

does HSRP work only on 2 wan link, suppose i have 3 wan link.

then what i will do in that case ?

Because HSRP does not really interact with WAN links, they just can be monitored by the track command, you can have as many WAN links on these routers as you want. Doesn't really matter. Also, there could me more than 2 routers in HSRP/GLBP group.

second thing, How GLBP differ from HSRP ? plz give me simple ex.

Well. I'll try to simplify things, but there are more differences if you  dig more into these things.

Both HSRP and GLBP are cisco proprietary protocols.

HSRP is much older, from year 1994.

GLBP is from year 2005.

GLBP supports more groups (1024) than HSRP (16).

GLBP can load balance traffic amongst routers in GLBP group, HSRP does not load balance.

HSRP can track interfaces or objects. GLBP tracks interfaces and objects as well.

There are more differences, but these are the main I suppose. So as you see, GLBP is better option - if available on your devices.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Jan

Message was edited by: Jan Hrnko

Hi jan,

i feel that answer of this post is wrong, plz check once

Hi Kuldeep,

What do you think is wrong? Please don't hesitate to tell me.

Yes thank you there was a mistake GLBP can also track interfaces, I have mistaken that part for VRRP which can track only objects. If you have any more doubts, please let me know.

Best regards,

Jan

Hi Jan,

Misunderstnding,

I am not talking about your post, i am talking

about this url post :

Plz check this url and tell me it is correct or not ?

Hi Kuldeep,

that post is right. I think that there is just confusion made by this statement:

with HSRP , more than one gateway should be used for the traffic get  loadbalanced but with GLBP no need to have multiple Gateways.....

The author of this post simply means that you should configure more than 1 HSRP group to achieve "load balancing" of the traffic. That some hosts (for example from some vlan10) will be in one HSRP group, other group of hosts

(vlan20) will be in other HSRP group. In this configuration Router1 could be Active for vlan10 and Standby for vlan20. Router2 could be Acive for vlan20 and Standby for vlan10. So - some kind of "load balancing" of traffic occurs.

But it is not the same load balancing that GLBP uses by default with no additional configuration. GLBP can simply use multiple Routers to forward traffic (there is not just one Active router as in HSRP, but more of them).

Best regards,

Jan

Hi Jan,

What i understand through this Discussion, i just want

to tell you plz correct me if i am wrong:

1. HSRP/VRRP/GLBP => It is used for LAN side redundancy

( as you shown with green colour in diagram)

2. IP SLA / PBR / Floating static route=> It is used for

WAN side redundancy ( shown as blue and orange colour).

Second thing,

I want to configure HSRP for LAN side Redundancy and

IP SLA for WAN side redundancy in same Network like

as your attached colourful diagram. is it possible ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card