Helpful
Replies

HSRP simple question

paxpaw0202
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Please see the attached diagram.

Router 1 is in a different building to Router 2.  There is dynamic routing information passed between all routers.

Is there any reason to setup HSRP between Router 1 and Router 2?

And is it possible given that all interfaces are on seperate subnets (other than the directly connected interfaces)?

I ask, becuase our WAN supplier recommended that we setup HSRP between our routers (1 and 2) and I cannot see why its needed and I don't think its possible.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hitesh Vinzoda
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I see HSRP as a first hop redundancy protocol.. very much affective in LAN, if you want redundancy of first hop in LAN than you should think about HSRP in that context, otherwise WAN seems good. As you lose one of the router the ethernet attached to it lose connectivity to default gateway.

HTH

Hitesh Vinzoda

Pls rate useful posts

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Hitesh Vinzoda
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I see HSRP as a first hop redundancy protocol.. very much affective in LAN, if you want redundancy of first hop in LAN than you should think about HSRP in that context, otherwise WAN seems good. As you lose one of the router the ethernet attached to it lose connectivity to default gateway.

HTH

Hitesh Vinzoda

Pls rate useful posts

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: