Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP standby command

snarayanaraju
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I would like to know what is the difference of using HSRP standby command in the following way

(config-if)# standby 1 name CCIE

and

(config-if)# standby name CCIE

What is the significance of using the number next to standby.

sairam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

numbered standby groups allows you to create several standby groups on the same interface. If you have secondary subnets on the interface, multiple standby groups would be required.

You could also create two standby groups on an interface with two different VIP addresses. Make one VIP active on one router, and another VIP active on another router. Configure half your clients to use one VIP as default gateway and the other half use the other VIP as default gateway. You are now load balancing outbound traffic.

Regards,

Roman

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

numbered standby groups allows you to create several standby groups on the same interface. If you have secondary subnets on the interface, multiple standby groups would be required.

You could also create two standby groups on an interface with two different VIP addresses. Make one VIP active on one router, and another VIP active on another router. Configure half your clients to use one VIP as default gateway and the other half use the other VIP as default gateway. You are now load balancing outbound traffic.

Regards,

Roman

Hi Roman,

Thanks and nice reply. No I am not planning to do Load Balancing.

Also please tell whether I am correct in the following way

If i use

(config-if)# standby name ROMAN

does it mean that if is for one instance only. what is the advantage of using over numbered standby command

When this type is typically used.

SAIRAM

as far as i know, there aren't any advantages of using non-numbered standby groups. If you only need one standby group, then just use non-numbered one. But you can have a non-numbered group and a bunch of numbered groups on the same interface if you wanted.

Hi Roman,

Actually, there are no "unnumbered" standby groups in HSRP. Each standby group has to have a number because its virtual MAC is derived from it. If you do not enter any group number in the "standby ip" command, the router will automatically use the group number 0. In other words, not specifying the group number is identical to writing "standby 0 ip A.B.C.D".

You may want to check this link for additional details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ha/command/reference/ha_s3.html#wp1044135

Best regards,

Peter

thank you for clarifying that! :) +5

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: